DOH: Dengue still a threat during El Niño

enablePagination: false
maxItemsPerPage: 10
totalITemsFound:
maxPaginationLinks: 10
maxPossiblePages:
startIndex:
endIndex:

Metro Manila (CNN Philippines) — Department of Health (DOH) spokesperson Dr. Lyndon Lee Suy said on Monday (September 28) that dengue remains a threat during the El Niño season.

Lee Suy said households are expected to store water in anticipation of the dry spell, which could serve as mosquito breeding sites.

He reminded the public to make sure containers with stagnant water are covered properly as not to serve as a breeding site of mosquitos.

"Huwag natin hayaang maging banta ang dengue. Pagtulungan natin iyan," he said.

Cases of dengue usually rise during the rainy season.

As of September 5, 78,808 suspect dengue cases have been reported and recorded by the DOH— that is 16.5 percent higher compared to the same period last year.

Most of the cases were seen in Region 4-A (11,894), Region 3 (11,806), National Capital Region or NCR (8,099), Region 1 (6,501), and Region 10 (6,298).

The province of Cavite earlier declared an outbreak and the province is under a state of calamity.

Dengue express lanes are now open in DOH hospitals to facilitate consultation for suspected dengue cases.

According to Lee Suy, a dengue vaccine is being developed by a pharmaceutical company. The vaccine is expected to be released later this year, after accreditation from the Food and Drug Administration.