Ombudsman orders dismissal of Makati Mayor Binay

enablePagination: false
maxItemsPerPage: 10
totalITemsFound:
maxPaginationLinks: 10
maxPossiblePages:
startIndex:
endIndex:

(File photo)

Metro Manila (CNN Philippines) — The Office of the Ombudsman ordered the dismissal of suspended Makati Mayor Jejomar Erwin Binay on Friday (October 9) after it found him guilty of grave misconduct and serious dishonesty in connection with the overpriced Makati City Hall Building II.

The Ombudsman has already terminated the administrative investigation of the case.

It also ordered the "perpetual disqualification from holding public office" of Binay.

In a statement, Ombudsman Conchita Carpio-Morales said that the strong evidence presented during administrative adjudication remained unrebutted. Binay was "found administratively liable for Grave Misconduct and Serious Dishonesty."

Morales also ordered the dismissal from the service of Binay's co-respondents, namely: Marjorie De Veyra, Pio Kenneth Dasal, Lorenza Amores, Virginia Hernandez, Line Dela Peña, Mario Badillo, Leonila Querijero, Raydes Pestaño, Nelia Barlis, Cecilio Lim III, Arnel Cadangan, Emerito Magat, Connie Consulta, Ulysses Orienza, Giovanni Condes, Manolito Uyaco, Gerardo San Gabriel, Eleno Mendoza, Jr., and Rodel Nayve.

Related: Makati Mayor Binay temporarily leaves city hall

The camp of Vice President Jejomar Binay, however, questioned the ombudsman's motives behind the order.

"Klarong-klaro ang panggigipit sa pamilyang Binay. Malinaw ang bias at selective justice ng Ombudsman na bahagi ng conspiracy ng mga government agencies kasama ang Senado at ang AMLAC na siraan at gipitin si VP Binay at ang kanyang pamilya dahil lang sa hangad nya na maglingkod sa mahihirap," Joey Salgado, head of the Office of the Vice President Media Affairs, said.

Makati Rep. Abigail Binay said her family would  appeal the decision. She said that her family plans to file a motion for reconsideration before the Office of the Ombudsman or to raise the matter to the Court of Appeals.

The solon also said that the real target was not her brothe. The decision, she said, was an attempt to bring down the ratings of her father, who is running for president in the 2016 elections.

'Dismissal by press release'

Salgado claimed that the ombudsman hastened to issue the order as the filing of the certificate of candidacy (CoC) for the 2016 elections will start on Monday (October 12).

He added that the suspended mayor had not even received the order yet.

"Dismissal by press release ang ginawa ng ombudsman," he said.

The younger Binay is seeking reelection as mayor of Makati City. But his Abigail said that, if the decision against her brother should stay after all legal remedies had been carried out, then she might run for Makati mayor instead.

The vice president and his son, along with other city officials, are facing a graft complaint filed by lawyer Renato Bondal last July 2014.

Bondal, who used to be a political ally of the Binays, accused them of conspiring in overpricing the construction of the Makati City Hall Building II by P862 million.

The building project, undertaken from 2007 to 2013, was worth P2.28 billion.

Related: VP Binay, son face graft probe over 'rigged' bidding

CNN Philippines' Patricia de Leon and Yumi Lugod contributed to this report.