Bongbong: Let's have a clean fight

enablePagination: false
maxItemsPerPage: 10
totalITemsFound:
maxPaginationLinks: 10
maxPossiblePages:
startIndex:
endIndex:

Senator Marcos files his certificate of candidacy for vice president.

Metro Manila (CNN Philippines) — Vice presidential bet and senator Ferdinand  "Bongbong" Marcos Jr. called on his fellow candidates on Friday (October 23) to shun the old ways of smear campaigns in the runup to the 2016 polls.

"We owe it to the electorate to elevate the level of the discussion," Marcos said in a statement — adding that candidates should instead focus on pressing issues like problems on drugs, rising prices and criminality.

Related: Marcos formally declares vice presidential bid

Related: Martin Romualdez, Bongbong Marcos file COCs

He said that a candidate who would resort to dirty tricks would be doing a disservice to the people.

"While mudslinging could be entertaining to some, it will not help us at all."

Marcos, the only son of late strong man Ferdinand Marcos, vowed he would not take part in any muckraking and would stick to a fair, issue-based campaign.

"I will fight fairly," Marcos said.

Related: Who is Bongbong Marcos?

Earlier in the week, practically all major political candidates complained of being the target of smear text messages — including his presidential bet, Sen. Miriam Defensor-Santiago.

Related: Bongbong Marcos: Respect Miriam’s right to privacy

Related: Miriam's choice of Bongbong as VP a 'bad decision' - analysts

Last month, spoofed P500 bills bearing the face of administration party standard-beared Manuel "Mar" Roxas II were distributed to members of the media.

Related: Fake P500 bills with Mar's face handiwork of detractors - Palace

Related: Binay: Roxas camp itself behind fake P500 bills