Ruling on PH arbitration case vs. China out on July 12

enablePagination: false
maxItemsPerPage: 10
totalITemsFound:
maxPaginationLinks: 10
maxPossiblePages:
startIndex:
endIndex:

The Peace Palace in The Hague, the Netherlands is the seat of the Permanent Court of Arbitration.

Metro Manila (CNN Philippines) — After three and a half years, a ruling will finally be out regarding an arbitration case which the Philippines filed against China over maritime rows in the West Philippine Sea (South China Sea).

The Permanent Court of Arbitration (PCA) at The Hague on June 29 announced it would issue its "award" or ruling on July 12 at approximately 11 a.m. CEST (5 p.m. PHT).

Related: Associate Justice Carpio outlines three possible rulings on PH maritime case

In a statement, the PCA said the ruling would first be sent via e-mail to Manila and Beijing, along with a press release containing a summary of the decision. This will be in English and French — with an unofficial Mandarin Chinese translation.

 

Copies will also be sent to observer countries and PCA member states.

Related: The Hague arguments: Philippine case against China explained

Manila has brought a case before the Permanent Court of Arbitration against China under the United Nations Convention of the Law of the Sea (UNCLOS).

The arbitration case started in January 22, 2013 when the Philippines served China with a Notification and Statement of Claim pursuant to the provisions of the UNCLOS.

About a month later, China rejected and returned the notification and had since stood pat on not participating in the arbitration and not recognizing its eventual decision.

Related: China repeats rejection of S. China Sea arbitration case

Duterte won't surrender rights in South China Sea

President Rodrigo Duterte previously said he would not surrender the rights of the Republic of the Philippines over the disputed Scarborough Shoal in the South China Sea.

"There will never be an instance that we will surrender our right over Scarborough Shoal," Duterte told a news conference after holding talks with China's ambassador Zhang Jianhua.

"That is not a territorial issue. It is an issue about being obstructed or impeded because of the constructions there and we cannot exercise freely the rights under UNCLOS of the 200-mile economic zone that is exclusive to us," Duterte pointed out.

He said he did not discuss the South China Sea dispute with the ambassador because the Philippines was anticipating a decision from a tribunal in The Hague.