Malacañang: Possible coup plot against Duterte

enablePagination: false
maxItemsPerPage: 10
totalITemsFound:
maxPaginationLinks: 10
maxPossiblePages:
startIndex:
endIndex:

(File photo of President Rodrigo Duterte) Communications secretary Martin Andanar said the Palace is investigating this coup attempt seriously.

Metro Manila (CNN Philippines) — Communications secretary Martin Andanar on Tuesday confirmed that Malacañang has received reports of a coup plot against President Rodrigo Duterte.

In a press briefing, Andanar said "credible sources in the United States" have provided them information.

In a radio interview Monday, Andanar said a Cabinet member who is currently in New York has heard of a plan to oust Duterte by January 2017.

Andanar said the Palace is seriously investigating this reported coup plot, but he refused to reveal any names. He said some of the names they have received still need confirmation.

"We know who they are, we are studying it. The warning is just be careful in what you plan because it's against the law," Andanar said.

Without naming anyone, Andanar added that "his plans are being hatched."

"Whatever they're planning, just think twice because it is not lawful when you bring down a government," Andanar warned. "And rest assured that we will protect our President."

Andanar deflected further questions about the motive for the ouster and the names he said they are investigating.

Last week, Sen. Alan Peter Cayetano insinuated that Sen. Leila De Lima's probe on extrajudicial killings could possibly be part of the Liberal Party's "Plan B" to unseat the president.

Duterte also hinted that the Liberal Party is planning to remove him from office.

Vice President Leni Robredo, who belongs to the Liberal Party, said she was offended by Cayetano's allegations.

She reiterated the Liberal Party has no plan to bring down the President.

Related: LP congressmen deny impeachment plot against Duterte