Updated 18:23 PM PHT Tue, January 3, 2017
Metro Manila (CNN Philippines) — Three Filipino suspects in the so-called biggest drug bust in history are denying their alleged involvement in the drug trade.
In their counter-affidavit, Salim Arafat, Basher Jamal, and Abdullah Jamal said they do not own the ₱6 billion-worth of drugs seized by the National Bureau of Investigation (NBI) at San Juan City last December.
The NBI raid yielded high grade methamphetamine chloride or shabu, as well as drug paraphernalia of a big-time drug syndicate known as Red Dragon.
The three suspects, along with Chinese nationals Shi Gui Xiong, Che Wen De, and Wu Li Yong, were charged for manufacturing and trading in illegal drugs.
Based on their affidavits, the three men were supposed to pray at a mosque in Greenhills when Arafat received an offer from an anonymous caller.
The caller, claiming he got Arafat's number from a friend based in Lanao Del Sur, asked Arafat to drive a yellow Honda Jazz at a fastfood restaurant in Anapolis Street.
Arafat accepted the offer in exchange for ₱50,000.
When the men arrived at the fastfood store, they saw the car parked outside with its engine on, but there was no one inside.
Arafat and Basher went in, while Abdullah entered the store to buy their food.
They claimed that in just a few minutes, armed men who introduced themselves as NBI operatives arrested and handcuffed them. Abdullah was also arrested inside the fastfood store.
They claimed they were brought into a van where they saw a Chinese national, who they learned was arrested before them.
They belied NBI's statement about inspecting the Honda car with bomb-sniffing dogs.
They also denied knowing about the bags containing the illegal substances.
The suspects said they no longer know who took control of the vehicle after they were asked to enter the van.
In his counter-affidavit, Arafat claimed he is a minor, although his driver's license says otherwse.
So far, the three Chinese nationals have not submitted their counter-affidavits, and have refused the services of the Public Attorney's Office.
The prosecutors gave them until 10 a.m. on Friday to submit their counter-affidavits.