BBM camp asks SC to junk Robredo's appeal

enablePagination: false
maxItemsPerPage: 10
totalITemsFound:
maxPaginationLinks: 10
maxPossiblePages:
startIndex:
endIndex:

Metro Manila (CNN Philippines, March 28) ­­- Former senator Bongbong Marcos' camp asked the Supreme Court (SC) to junk Vice President Leni Robredo's appeal, on her motion to dismiss his electoral protest.

Marcos' lawyers filed their 25-page comment to the court on Friday, saying that Robredo's appeal was just another dilatory tactic, and that the the SC, acting as the Presidential Electoral Tribunal (PET), should proceed with hearing the case.

Robredo's motion argues, the high court should dismiss Marcos' protest on grounds of lack of jurisdiction and insufficiency in form and substance.

Read more: Robredo asks Supreme Court to dismiss Marcos poll protest

Marcos' legal counsel George Garcia said that the issue of sufficiency in form and substance had been settled twice by the PET.

"The sufficiency of the form, substance and content of the election protest filed by protestant Marcos was judiciously affirmed by this Honorable Tribunal in two instances already.  First, when it resolved to issue the Summons (dated 12 July 2016) against protestee Robredo, and second, when it denied the special and affirmative defenses of Robredo as contained in the Resolution promulgated on 24 January 2017," Garcia said.

Earlier in January, the SC already denied Robredo's motion. After the high court's ruling, Robredo's camp filed an appeal on February 27. In that appeal, Robredo argued to dismiss Marcos' protest because it only presented affidavits of only 57 out 662 municipalities where poll fraud was alleged.

Read more: Supreme Court denies Robredo's motion to dismiss Marcos' electoral protest

Garcia urged the PET to start the preliminary conference for the electoral protest and order back the ballots and other election paraphernalia for the case to progress.

"The evidence of Marcos is probably the same evidence that Robredo has by now.  If this is the case, one cannot help but wonder why she does not want the proceeding to move forward," Garcia claimed.

Robredo filed her motion to dismiss Marcos' electoral protest back in August 15, 2016.

Garcia also said the SC should ask quickly on the case because of an ouster threat against Duterte.

"There is clearly a well-funded concerted effort to undermine the Duterte administration. Just recently, Robredo's video message on the alleged extra-judicial killings caused quite a stir amongst our patriotic countrymen," Marcos' lawyer George Garcia claimed in a Monday statement.

The video presented in the sidelines of a United Nations meeting showed Robredo claiming that more than 7,000 extrajudicial killings have occurred during the Duterte administration's war on drugs.

Robredo: Warrantless searches, 'palit-ulo' scheme in anti-drug operations

Duterte previously accused Robredo of being part of a plan to oust him, stating that she is in a rush to become president.