Imee Marcos: Son of deposed strongman 'very willing' to work in Duterte administration

enablePagination: false
maxItemsPerPage: 10
totalITemsFound:
maxPaginationLinks: 10
maxPossiblePages:
startIndex:
endIndex:

Metro Manila (CNN Philippines, April 11) — Former senator Bongbong Marcos is eager to accept a post in President Rodrigo Duterte's administration, Ilocos Norte Governor Imee Marcos said Monday.

"My poor brother is jobless kaya type na type niya mag-trabaho [My poor brother is jobless, which is why he would really like to work]," Marcos told reporters in Davao International Airport.

The provincial governor is part of President Duterte's delegation to the Middle East. Duterte is on state visits to Saudi Arabia, Bahrain, and Qatar from April 10 to 17.

Read: Duterte to bring home jailed OFWs granted clemency in Middle East

"Full support naman siya kay Presidente, so kung may maitutulong siya, I'm sure he'd be very willing to do so dahil ang bagal ng protesta niya eh," Marcos added.

[Translation: He has shown full support for the President, so if he can help, I'm sure he'd be very willing to do so because his protest is (moving) so slow.]

Marcos was referring to her brother's electoral protest against former Camarines Sur Representative Leni Robredo, who narrowly beat him in the 2016 vice presidential elections. The former senator has alleged poll fraud.

Read: BBM camp asks SC to junk Robredo's appeal

Bongbong Marcos said April 6 that Duterte has yet to offer him a position in his government, but would be glad to serve if he was offered one.

Read: Marcos: No Cabinet post offer from Duterte yet

"If a president asks you to serve in whatever capacity, hindi mo naman pwede hindian. Siyempre para sa bansa 'yan [you can't just say no. Of course, it's for the country]," Marcos said at the 70th birthday celebration of Pampanga representative and former President Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo.

LOOK: Duterte graces CGMA's 70th birthday

"Of course, I will be happy, I will be proud, I would be honored to serve in any position in the Duterte administration," he added.

The former legislator said talks of his appointment were premature, since he was still covered by the year-long ban on candidates holding public office.

After Duterte ally and supporter Ismael Sueno was dismissed as Interior Secretary on April 3 over alleged corruption, speculation arose over Bongbong Marcos assuming the post.

Read: Abella: Duterte dismisses DILG Secretary Sueno due to 'loss of trust and confidence'

But Presidential Spokesperson Ernesto Abella said on April 4 that "no comment, no mention, and absolutely no reference" was made to Marcos as Sueno's replacement.

Duterte has previously acknowledged the support of the Marcoses.

Read: Duterte: I will allow Marcos' burial at Libingan ng mga Bayani

He fulfilled a campaign promise by allowing the burial of their father, the late deposed strongman Ferdinand Marcos, in the Libingan ng mga Bayani on Nov. 18, 2016 despite protests from anti-Marcos activists and human rights victims during Martial Law under Marcos's rule.

Read: Marcos buried at Libingan ng mga Bayani

CNN Philippines Senior Correspondent Ina Andolong contributed to this report.