PNP: No threat in upcoming ASEAN Summit

enablePagination: false
maxItemsPerPage: 10
totalITemsFound:
maxPaginationLinks: 10
maxPossiblePages:
startIndex:
endIndex:

(CNN Philippines, April 19) — The Philippine National Police said they have yet to monitor any imminent threat in next week's ASEAN Summit in Metro Manila.

This, despite last week's foiled attack of Abu Sayyaf members in Bohol, one of the venues of preliminary ASEAN Summit meetings.

Read more: Interior Secretary, military: Bohol 'well-fortified' for ASEAN meetings despite clash

PNP Chief Ronald Dela Rosa said security preparations are in place to ensure the safety of all the attendees including heads of state.

The PNP Highway Patrol Group (HPG) will deploy a total of 426 HPG personnel to convoy security packages for heads of states, ministers, city tours, and inter-parliamentary assembly.

Some HPG personnel from regional offices were pulled-out to augment the forces in Metro Manila.

A total of 200 motorcycles and 108 patrol cars will also be assigned for the security convoys.

HPG Task Force Limbas Spokesman Senior Inspector Jem Delantes said they underwent a series of tabletop exercises and simulation to ensure the security of VIPs while in transit.

Delantes asked for the public's understanding for any inconvenience that the security convoys for ASEAN Summit VIPs may bring.

Read more: ASEAN pushes for further economic integration