ASEAN 2017: Duterte, Trump exchange phone call

enablePagination: false
maxItemsPerPage: 10
totalITemsFound:
maxPaginationLinks: 10
maxPossiblePages:
startIndex:
endIndex:

Metro Manila (CNN Philippines, April 29) — President Rodrigo Duterte capped off his hosting of the 30th ASEAN Summit with a phone call with U.S. President Donald Trump.

The two leaders talked at around 11 p.m. on Saturday. Details of their conversation have not yet been released.

 

In an earlier speech, Duterte had said he would ask Trump not to go to war with North Korea to spare the ASEAN region from suffering.

Read: Duterte appeals to Trump: Keep restraint over North Korea

The call comes ahead of Trump's expected visit to the Philippines in November to take part in the 31st ASEAN Summit and Related Meetings.

Read: Trump to visit PH for ASEAN meet in November, VP Pence confirms

It is their second phone call known to public.

Duterte called then President-elect Trump in December last year to congratulate him on his win.

Read: Duterte: Trump said I'm 'doing great'

Duterte revealed snippets of his talk with an "animated" Trump, who he said expressed support for the country's war on drugs.

Read: Duterte: Trump supports the Philippines' drug war

The government is confident Trump will push through with his trip to the Philippines in November, which could be his first meeting with Duterte. The president is often likened with Trump for his tough talk, flip-flops, and controversial statements.

This is a developing story. Please refresh page for updates.

(Story was updated 12:10 a.m. of April 30 to include additional information on the phone call.)