Underground River still fully-booked despite travel advisories

enablePagination: false
maxItemsPerPage: 10
totalITemsFound:
maxPaginationLinks: 10
maxPossiblePages:
startIndex:
endIndex:

The Palawan underground river had been included in the New7Wonders of Nature in 2012.

Palawan (May 11) — Amid travel alerts issued by the United States embassy due to terrorist threats, the Puerto Princesa Underground River is still fully-booked up until yesterday, said Park Superintendent Elizabeth Maclang.

"We are expecting na meron effect sa mga succeeding weeks, or months," Maclang said.

The embassies of the United States, Canada and the United Kingdom have issued travel warnings on Tuesday and Wednesday for their citizens headed to Palawan, following "credible information" that terrorist groups may be planning to kidnap foreign nationals in the province.

Read more: U.S., Canada, UK warn citizens against travel to Palawan

Maclang said that around 30 students from the Philippine Military Academy Mabalasik Class of 2019 cancelled their tour yesterday, and at least three guests of local travel agencies.

According to the park superintendent, the walk-in visitors help reached reach the 1,200 daily guest limit.

"Di po kami bumababa ng 700 kahit na lean months," Maclang said.

[Translation: The number of visitors do not go below 700 even during lean months.]

Maclang adds that a decline in bookings may be felt in the coming weeks but it cannot be directly attributed to U.S. travel alerts since the lean season is already approaching.

City Tourism Officer Aileen Cynthia Amurao said there is an undeniable effect in the local tourism industry, but it is manageable.

Amurao says establishments in Puerto Princesa continue normal operations, but with heightened security measures.

According to Amurao, they expect around 80,000 to 90,000 tourist visits on average per month.

Palawan Governor Jose Alvarez told CNN Philippines  the local government has not monitored any terror threats but it is prepared for any scenarios.