Duterte: No one recommended martial law declaration

(CNN Philippines, May 31) — Now it's clear. President Rodrigo Duterte confirms he acted on his own when he decided to declare Martial Law in Mindanao.

Speaking at the commissioning of the Philippine Navy's brand new Landing Dock vessel BPR Davao del Sur, the President said there was no direct recommendation, but the police and military gave him enough information to convince him  martial law is needed.

"While they did not say 'go ahead President Duterte,' they gave me sufficient informatjon and I asked them are we already in the critical level. And there was an almost unison and redundant even statement that delikado tayo sa Mindanao [the situation in Mindanao is dire] given the practice of the ISIS in the Middle East, just exploding everything in their hands," he said.

The President's statement comes after security officials, in a closed-door meeting with senators, said they didn't make any recommendation.

Where is Hapilon?

Defense Secretary Delfin Lorenzana says Abu Sayyaf leader Isnilon Hapilon is believed to be still in Marawi.

But he could be traced soon, with security officials confident of taking full control of Marawi in days.

It's unclear if this means martial law may be also be lifted before the 60-day limit.

RELATED: Duterte on martial law: 'I'd be harsh'

For now, the President is still worried about terror attacks spilling over to the Visayas which is close to conflict-stricken Mindanao

But this time, he didn't talk about expanding martial law's coverage to address this possibility.

"I will be forced to declare the suspension of the writ of habeas corpus, not martial law, but 'yung habeas corpus lang [only habeas corpus] so that I can arrest you anytime without a warrant. That is just a precautionary measure. I don't think it will happen. I hope it will not happen."

President Duterte previously sought the help of rebel groups in fighting terrorists.

The Moro Islamic Liberation Front has agreed to help in securing areas for humanitarian and relief operations.

The Moro National Liberation Front says its troops are ready for combat and are just awaiting word from the Armed Forces of the Philippines to get moving.

Though President Duterte did appeal that New People's Army members help out too, he had a different tone with them this time.

"If there is a breakdown in the peace and order here because of the participation of the communists in this war against the ISIS...I am warning the leaders whom I have released and who are now talking to the representatives of my government: Do not attempt to come home. I will arrest all of you and throw you to the slammer. Pagkukulungin ko kayo at lahat nung matanda, aarestuhin ko 'yun uli [I will throw all of you in jail including the old ones]. And if needed, they will just die there inside the prison."

President Duterte stresses drug money has been helping fuel terrorist activities in the country.

That and money from ISIS which he says has been using Police Supt. Cristina Nobleza to move funds to the Abu Sayyaf Group.

Nobleza is the lover of Abu Sayyaf bomb maker Reener Dongon who is linked to the group behind the clash in Bohol.

READ: Police officer, bandit detained at PNP headquarters

She was accused of trying to rescue a bandit trapped in police operations there.