DICT: People spreading ISIS propaganda to be arrested

enablePagination: false
maxItemsPerPage: 10
totalITemsFound:
maxPaginationLinks: 10
maxPossiblePages:
startIndex:
endIndex:

Metro Manila (CNN Philippines, June 13) —  People involved in spreading ISIS propaganda online will be arrested, according to Department of Information and Communication Technologies (DICT) Secretary Rodolfo Salalima.

"May huhulihin na. Cyber-sedition. We are not going to name the persons. We are able to track about, more than one last night," Salalima said in an interview Tuesday.

[Translation: We're actually arresting one on grounds of cyber-sedition. We are not going to name the persons. We are able to track about more than one last night.]

Salalima said they are involved in efforts to stop the spread of ISIS propaganda online, specifically in the military's request last week to take down 63 Facebook accounts, which it claimed were spreading misinformation.

"Rebellion and sedition are crimes under the old revised penal code. You do sedition, you incite people via cyber or via internet…there is 'cyber-rebellion,' there is 'cyber sedition,'" Salalima said.

"Ang rebellion, there must be a taking up of arms so pag sa online, it could amount to cyber-sedition," Salalima he added.

In a media briefing of the Malacañang on May 26, Armed Forces of the Philippines Spokesperson B/Gen. Restituto Padilla said authorities will "exercise the right to censure" if it endangers lives and national security, but will not recommend the suspension of freedom of expression.

Padilla, also the designated spokesperson for the implementation of martial law in Mindanao, said the bases for censorship include protecting the safety of lives and the  operational security of government forces.

Read more: Right to censure part of martial law rules - gov't

Facebook to remove accounts

Facebook, amid widespread attacks worldwide, said it will remove fake accounts and accounts that support any terror propaganda.

In a statement issued Tuesday, the social media platform said it wants to provide a service where people feel safe.

"Our Community Standards do not allow groups or people that engage in terrorist activity, or posts that express support for terrorism. Fake accounts are also prohibited.

We will remove accounts and content that violate these policies when we are made aware of them," the statement read.

Facebook added that once they become aware of an emergency involving imminent harm to someone's safety, they will notify law enforcement.

"Online extremism can only be tackled with strong partnerships. We have long collaborated with policymakers, civil society, and others in the tech industry, and we are committed to continuing this important work together," it said.

On June 5, Facebook Director of Policy Simon Milner issued a statement saying the social media platform works "aggressively" to remove terrorist content, after an attack in London left at least seven people dead.

"We want Facebook to be a hostile environment for terrorists," Milner told CNN.

Read more: Facebook wants to be 'hostile' to terrorists

CNN Philippines Digital Producer Chad de Guzman contributed to this report.