Cebu Pacific passenger faints amid flight delay

enablePagination: false
maxItemsPerPage: 10
maxPaginationLinks: 10

Metro Manila (CNN Philippines, June 17) — A Cebu Pacific flight on Friday encountered a delay, causing inconvenience to its passengers.

Around 6 p.m., Gin Durano, passenger of the Cebu Pacific Flight 5J 575, posted a series of videos and photos on her Facebook page, showing the situation inside the Cebu-bound aircraft.

"Babies are crying, old people are complaining, and there's a woman [who] got suffocated and now she has oxygen on because she can't breathe. We've been here for more than an hour inside the plane," Durano said in her post.


She added it was really hot inside the plane, but the crew did not address the problem until the woman supposedly passed out.

Durano also told CNN Philippines they were not deplaned until passengers started screaming and asked for water.

In a statement, the Department of Transportation (DOTr) said on Saturday it had instructed the Civil Aeronautics Board (CAB) to look into the incident.

"Should DOTr-CAB find out that Cebu Pacific Flight 5J 575 went beyond the prescribed 2-hour period to deplane its passengers due to long tarmac delays, Cebu Pacific shall be held liable for the penalty prescribed under the regulation," it said.

The statement added the pilot would also be held liable as he is responsible to instruct the deplaning.

In a separate statement, Cebu Pacific explained the course of events during the incident.

"On Friday, June 16, 2017, Flight 5J575 bound to Cebu from Manila encountered a delay due to debris that had to be cleared from the runway. During that time, one passenger fainted, prompting emergency medical assistance," it said.

Cebu Pacific also stated after its crew had been alerted of the warm temperature, they had decided to transfer to another aircraft for the convenience of the passengers.

According to the statement, the "cabin crew and ground personnel assisted all passengers and handled the transfer to the replacement aircraft."

The flight departed Manila at 7:32 p.m., and arrived in Cebu at 8:52 p.m.