Duterte on 'Bulacan massacre' killers: I will find you, kill you

enablePagination: false
maxItemsPerPage: 10
totalITemsFound:
maxPaginationLinks: 10
maxPossiblePages:
startIndex:
endIndex:

President Rodrigo Duterte visits a wake in Bulacan before going to a speaking engagement at Clark Air Base in Pampanga.

Metro Manila (CNN Philippines, July 4) — President Rodrigo Duterte vows "there will be justice" for the victims of a gruesome massacre in Bulacan last week which left five dead — including three children.

Duterte, who personally visited the wake of the Carlos family in Brgy. Sto. Cristo, San Jose del Monte before attending the 70th anniversary of the Philippine Air Force on Tuesday, said the criminals could hide but he would eventually find them.

"Basta pagdating ng panahon, magkita tayo, patay ka," he said. "Maski saan ka magtago, I will catch up with you."

[Translation: Some day our paths would cross and you're dead. You could hide anywhere, I will catch up with you.]

The President, who is a fierce anti-criminal advocate, said he didn't give any specific directive or time frame to the police, but said the case should be resolved "as soon as possible."

On June 27, security guard Dexter Carlos Sr. went home at North Ridge Royale Subdivision to find his wife, three children, and mother-in-law stabbed to death. The women were found naked and half-naked. The kids were aged 11, seven, and one.

 

Related: Police arrest Bulacan massacre suspect

Duterte described the killing the "work of a devil."

"Patayin 'yung mga bata, papatayin ko kayo (You killed even children, I will kill you)," he said, linking the grisly murders to illegal drugs.

"I don't give a s*** about human rights. Wala akong pakialam sa kanila (I don't care about them). Ako, basta may trabaho ako (I have a job to do). And my job is to see to it — I will repeat — to preserve and defend the Filipino nation. That's about it."

The President gave ₱275,000 in cash and a cellphone to Dexter, telling him that he could call up if he needed help. Duterte also mentioned that a housing unit had been offered to the bereaved husband and father.

Duterte on SC ruling

The President told reporters that he had yet to receive a copy of the Supreme Court ruling which junked petitions against the declaration of martial law in Mindanao.

He said he respected the dissenting opinions of the magistrates who said military rule should have been declared in limited areas.

But he explained that limiting martial law to Marawi could lead to a spillover of violence as terrorists could easily move to nearby provinces.

"When you declare martial law, you have to use your coconut. The gray matter between your ears. Since that is very easy to escape because there is no — there is no division in terms of land... and they can go anywhere."

The 72-year-old former mayor added that "martial law should have been declared a long time ago" citing past bombings in Davao City like the blasts at the airport and Sasa Wharf in March and April of 2003, respectively.