Duterte lashes out at Aquino over drug war criticism

enablePagination: false
maxItemsPerPage: 10
totalITemsFound:
maxPaginationLinks: 10
maxPossiblePages:
startIndex:
endIndex:

(L-R) Duterte, Aquino

Metro Manila (CNN Philippines, August 2) — After his word war with Philippine communism founder Joma Sison, President Rodrigo Duterte now has a mouthful against former president Noynoy Aquino.

Duterte, who had lauded the Bureau of Internal Revenue for "doing a great job" during its 113th founding anniversary on Wednesday, conversely hit a belligerent note when he reacted to a comment of his predecessor yesterday regarding the ongoing war on drugs.

Aquino, during his mother's 8th death anniversary, told reporters that the  number of drug users had not changed since when he left the presidency last year, despite the current administration's deadly campaign against illegal drugs. It can be recalled that Aquino had said he would wait for one year before he would comment on his successor's performance.

Duterte, who is known for cussing, retorted, "Sabi ni PNoy, parang walang nangyari. Sige, pumasok ka sa droga PNoy, 'pag hindi kita pinutulan ng ulo, buang ka. Anong walang nangyari? G*go ka."

[Translation: (Aquino) said, it seems nothing happened. Go ahead, go into the illegal drug trade, I will cut your head off. What are you saying? You fool.]

The 72-year-old chief executive then slammed Aquino and former Interior secretary Mar Roxas for their close relations with Daanbantayan, Cebu mayor and retired police general Vicente Loot — whom he had previously identified as a protector of drug lords. Two weeks ago, Duterte even defended his predecessor over usurpation and graft raps in connection with the 2015 Mamasapano clash.

Related: Duterte: Ombudsman charges vs. Aquino 'meant to fail'

Duterte, in an interview later, added that in terms of drug haul, his administration had already seized about nearly the same volume as Aquino's output during his whole presidential term.

"In all of his six years, he was only able to seize or catch about 3,045 kilos of shabu. Ako, dito ngayon sa akin (While on my part), just one year, I have already seized about 2,000 — nearing 3,000 (of his) entire six years."

Du30 at BIR.jpg President Rodrigo Duterte lauded the BIR for its collection efforts, saying he would need billions of pesos to rebuild war-torn Marawi City.  

Meanwhile, the President said that he was standing behind the policemen who had killed the Parojinogs in pre-dawn raids in Ozamiz City.

He said there was nothing irregular with the timing of the police operation as drug transactions were usually carried out under cover of darkness.

"A warrant of arrest can really be served any time of the day or night... The police can go there any time convenient for them to arrest."

Duterte said the Parojinogs were "running the city as if it was a feudal state of the family."

In another speaking engagement, the President told firefighters that they would get the best equipment to do their job. He also promised them that they would be able to bear arms eventually.

CNN Philippines' Ina Andolong and Triciah Terada contributed to this report.