Duterte calls Trillanes' evidence trash

enablePagination: false
maxItemsPerPage: 10
totalITemsFound:
maxPaginationLinks: 10
maxPossiblePages:
startIndex:
endIndex:

Metro Manila (CNN Philippines, September 1) — President Rodrigo Duterte on Friday slammed Sen. Antonio Trillanes for implicating his family in the corruption at the Bureau of Customs (BOC).

"Kung may ebidensya, 'wag yung kay Trillanes kasi basura naman talaga lahat yan," Duterte said at the 11th founding anniversary celebration of the Eastern Mindanao Command in Davao City.

[Translation: If there's evidence, it should not be the ones from Trillanes because all of it is trash.]

Duterte was referring to allegations that his son-in-law, Atty. Mans Carpio, is part of the so-called "Davao Group," which influences certain transactions at the BOC.

READ: Trillanes links Duterte son, son-in-law to 'Davao Group'

On Aug. 29, Trillanes said he had witnesses who would attest that Carpio, husband of Davao City mayor Sara Duterte, had been seen at the BOC several times this year and late last year, allegedly asking brokers for bribe to hasten the release of shipments.

Duterte said there was nothing wrong in Carpio practicing his legal profession, and representing a company which would have transactions with the BOC.

"Nung pumutok yung Mighty King…sabi niya, kinuha ang law office namin ni Mighty King para legal defense. Kami hong mga abugado, lawyering is lawyering," he said.

[Translation: When the Mighty King issue came in, he said their law office was hired for legal defense. For us lawyers, lawyering is lawyering.]

READ: Duterte defends son-in-law vs Trillanes' accusation

The President on Friday also reiterated he will resign if he is shown evidence that his family is involved in corruption.

"Yan lang ang sabihin ko, that is my guarantee. Pagdating ng panahon na nakita niyo ako, binobola ko kayo, you are free to advise me to step down."

[Translation:That's all I'm going to say, that is my guarantee. When the time comes and you see me, fooling you, you are free to advise me to step down.]

READ: Customs fixer clears Duterte son, son-in-law of smuggling, 'tara' system

However, he said his "parental supervision" only extends to his three children.

"Kung itong mga anak ko, masabit sa corruption, pinangalanan ko si Polong (Paolo), Inday (Sara), pati si Sebastian, because I'm only responsible for my sons and daughter," he said.

[Translation: I will only be responsible for my children, Paolo, Sara, and Sebastian, if they are involved in corruption.]

Customs fixer Mark Taguba on Friday also cleared Davao City Vice Mayor Paolo Duterte and Atty. Mans Carpio of their alleged involvement in the anomalous Customs shipment.