Hazing victim's parents face suspect Solano for the first time

enablePagination: false
maxItemsPerPage: 10
totalITemsFound:
maxPaginationLinks: 10
maxPossiblePages:
startIndex:
endIndex:

Metro Manila (CNN Philippines, September 24) — Parents of hazing victim Horacio Castillo III faced the primary suspect in their son's killing for the first time on Sunday.

John Paul Solano met Castillo's parents, Horacio Jr. and Carmina, but was mum during the meeting because his lawyers were not present, Manila Police District Director Chief Supt. Joel Coronel said.

"He (Solano) requested that he will just wait for the lawyers. Hindi na nahintay nila Mr. and Mrs. Castillo yung lawyer ni John Paul Solano [Mr. and Mrs. Solano weren't able to wait for John Paul Solano's lawyers] because they have to attend to other matters," said Coronel.

"Gusto nilang kausapin but Mr .Solano asked na he will not give any statement," he added.

[Translation: They wanted to talk to Mr. Solano, but he asked that he not give any statement.]

Following the meeting with Solano, the Castillo couple formally filed their complaint against those possibly involved in the hazing.

Coronel said Castillo's parents are looking to speak with Solano tomorrow, at the Senate hearing instead.

Solano earlier told police he found Castillo's lifeless body and brought him to the Chinese General Hospital.

Coronel later said Solano recruited the victim to join the fraternity, although Solano claimed he met Castillo only twice.

READ: Solano: I wasn't at Horacio Castillo's hazing

Solano has yet to submit his affidavit as of the meeting. The MPD chief said they are giving him until Sunday, September 24, to do so.

Earlier, the family said they said they had many questions about what happened the night of their son's death. These include answers on who called Solano to bring Castillo to the Chinese General Hospital, who planned the welcoming rites, and who were present at the event.

Cases to be filed against Trangia father, son

Coronel also said four other people linked to Castillo's death have been giving surrender feelers.

This includes Antonio Trangia, who is the owner of the pick-up vehicle that brought Castillo to the hospital.

"Hopefully today or tomorrow before the Senate hearing he'll be appearing here to clarify his participation or involvement. Otherwise, he's still considered a principal suspect as of now," Coronel said.

Antonio Trangia is the father of UST law student Ralph Trangia, another principal suspect in the case.

Ralph left the country for Taiwan on September 19, two days after Castillo was declared dead on arrival at the Chinese General Hospital. He is now reportedly in the United States.

READ: BI: Suspect in hazing victim's death out of the country

Coronel said they have coordinated with their U.S. counterparts to locate Trangia, but there is no manhunt for him as of now.

"We will just furnish them a copy of our cases that we will file against him so that he can be declared a fugitive from justice," he said.

Trangia's mother may also be charged if evidence shows she participated or collaborated in the escape of her son, Coronel said.

Coronel urged the suspects to turn themselves in, and assured them no harm would come to them if they surrender.

"Mas mabuti pa lumutang na sila kasi po yun po ang pagkakataon nila na makabigay ng statement at involvement nila kaysa mahuli pa sila sa labas….Sumurrender sila sa amin then we assure them of their safety," he said.

[Translation: It's better that they surface because this is their chance to give a statement on their involvement, as opposed to being caught outside… Surrender to us and we'll assure them of their safety.]

The police said so far there are nine suspects in the case. This includes Solano, Ralph Trangia, and seven other unnamed frat officers for violating the anti-hazing law.