Duterte: Truth in Kian Delos Santos slay case yet to be revealed

enablePagination: false
maxItemsPerPage: 10
totalITemsFound:
maxPaginationLinks: 10
maxPossiblePages:
startIndex:
endIndex:

Metro Manila (CNN Philippines, October 27) — President Rodrigo Duterte on Thursday said the whole truth on the death of 17-year old Kian Loyd Delos Santos still has to be disclosed.

"'Yung kay Kian na estudyante. Well, you will know the truth, at least the version of the police, 'pag mag-umpisa na ang trial. But it will not excuse or justify killing a person whose hands are raised, ready to surrender, or kneeling down, because that is really murder. Pero may twist diyan," Duterte said.

Delos Santos was killed in a police anti-drug operation in Caloocan City last August.

A security footage of the incident sparked public outrage and cast doubt on the government's war on drugs.

On October 13, National Police Chief Director General Ronald Dela Rosa also said he had information proving Delos Santos was not so innocent.

"Pardon me sa mga grieving parents, pardon me sa namatay na bata, kapag sinabi mo na totally innocent 'yun na pinatay, I don't buy that story dahil meron akong alam talaga," Dela Rosa told CNN Philippines' The Source.

READ: PNP Chief: Slain minor Kian not as innocent as you think

Both Duterte and Dela Rosa did not say what information they had.

Police earlier said a witness tagged Delos Santos as a drug courier.

Four Caloocan policemen face a murder complaint with the Justice Department for the crime, following a report on the incident by the National Bureau of Investigation (NBI).

READ: Murder, torture raps filed vs. police over Kian's death

The NBI said Kian was shot while in a kneeling or fetal position, while the shooter was standing.

Delos Santos' death, the slaying of Carl Arnaiz and Reynaldo "Kulot" de Guzman, and an alleged robbery by the police caught on video prompted Metro Manila Police Chief Oscar Albayalde to relieve the whole Caloocan police force.

READ: Caloocan police force replaced

The Justice Department wrapped up its preliminary investigation on Delos Santos' case on October 27, after 12 additional cops tagged in the slay case submitted their joint affidavit denying they were in the crime scene.

Delos Santos was among the 82 casualties of a series of "One-time, big-time" anti-drug operations in Metro Manila and nearby province of Bulacan from August 15-18.

On October 10, President Duterte ordered the Philippine Drug Enforcement Agency to lead the war against drugs, effectively removing the Philippine National Police from the campaign.

READ: PNP Chief: PDEA lead in drug war shows 'President isn't a dictator'

Police data shows they held 76,863 drug-related operations as of September, resulting in the death of 3,906 drug personalities and the arrest of 113,932.

The war against illegal drugs has also uncovered an entrenched system of bribery within the Bureau of Customs, which is now the subject of intense scrutiny and moves to revamp the agency.

A survey by the Social Weather Stations released on Friday  showed that one in every four Filipinos knows someone who had been summoned by the police for "Oplan Tokhang," or the campaign against illegal drugs.  Among those who know someone who has been summoned, almost half believe these people are not drug users or pushers.