Protesters burn mock U.S. flag on Trump's last day in PH

enablePagination: false
maxItemsPerPage: 10
maxPaginationLinks: 10

Metro Manila (CNN Philippines, November 14) — There was no let up in protest actions against U.S. President Donald Trump's presence even as he departed Tuesday.

Barely 24 hours after the police force used water cannons to disperse them, members of militant groups regrouped on the streets.

Failing to break the police line, and their ranks forcibly dispersed on Monday, the activists settled for Mendiola Street near Malacañang Palace in Manila to protest Trump's attendance at the 31st Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) Summit.

About 2,000 protesters from Bayan, Bayan Muna, Gabriela, and Alliance of Concerned Teachers marched the two kilometers from Liwasang Bonifacio in Ermita to Mendiola Street near Malacanang Palace.

"Pinagmamayabang ni Pangulong Duterte na magkakaroon ng free trade sa America. Itong mga trade agreements na ito ay pabor lamang sa malalaking bansa at hindi kailanman maging pabor ito sa maliliit na bansa gaya ng Pilipinas," Bayan Muna Representative Carlos Zarate said.

Seventeen Americans from the International League of People's Struggle USA (ILPS-USA) also joined the protest action.

They defied the government's warning that foreigners who will join protest actions may be deported.

"Well, they can come try," Eliana Letzter of ILPS-USA challenged the Philippine government.

The protesters burned a mock U.S. flag in Mendiola.


Protesters also hit alleged U.S. exploitation and oppression of smaller countries.

Trump left the the country for Washington, D.C. on Tuesday afternoon, government and aviation officials said.

Related: U.S. President Trump leaves PH, skips East Asian Summit

House probe sought on police's sonic attack

The militant groups' rally on Monday turned violent, with at least 50 members hurt in the dispersal by the police, Zarate said.

One hundred police officers, decked in anti-combat gear, trained their water cannons on at least a thousand members of leftist groups amassed on Padre Faura street. They were about four kilometers away from the summit venue, the Philippine International Convention Center.

Zarate said what they are against is the police's use of a sonic weapon or long-range acoustic device on the rallyists on Monday. He said the sound from the sonic weapon reached at least 140 decibels, which could cause damage to the eardrums. He will file a resolution before the House of the Representatives to investigate the violent and inhumane dispersal, he added.

Gabriela Representative Arlene Brosas said the "anti-people weapon" of the police must be investigated.

"Hindi pwedeng paglaruan lang nila ito kada may mobilisasyon para pagtakpan ang galit ng mamamayan. Hindi biro ang epekto nito sa pandinig at kalusugan ng mga nasa pagkilos, at maging sa kapulisan mismo," she said in a statement.

On Sunday, at least nine protesters and 23 police officers were hurt in an anti-Trump rally.

Metro Manila Police Chief Director Oscar Albayalde said the protesters are inciting violence, but the police are still exercising maximum tolerance.

"Useless makipag-usap. Everytime ang rally nagiging violent. They seem to instigate na saktan sila (police)," he told CNN Philippines on Monday.