No reported death, fewer firecracker injuries – DOH

enablePagination: false
maxItemsPerPage: 10
totalITemsFound:
maxPaginationLinks: 10
maxPossiblePages:
startIndex:
endIndex:

Metro Manila (CNN Philippines, January 1) — The Department of Health on Monday shared the good news that it has recorded zero deaths and fewer firecracker injuries during the holiday season.

Health Secretary Francisco Duque III said there was a 68 percent decrease in firecracker injuries from December 21, 2017 to January 1, 2018, as compared to the same period last year.

The DOH has recorded 191 cases, majority of which came from Metro Manila with 115 cases.

The figure is 77 percent lower than the five-year average from 2012 to 2016.

"The government's campaign against fireworks has reduced the number of injuries," Duque said in a media briefing on Monday.

There was no reported death nor any case of firecracker ingestion, Duque noted.

But he said there was one case of stray bullet injury in Caloocan City.

Piccolo remains as top cause of injuries with 94 cases, followed by kwitis with 14 cases.

The Health Department will continue monitoring firecracker injuries until Saturday.