Duterte wants termination of contract with airport service provider MIASCOR

enablePagination: false
maxItemsPerPage: 10
totalITemsFound:
maxPaginationLinks: 10
maxPossiblePages:
startIndex:
endIndex:

Highlights

  • MIAA will not renew contract with MIASCOR
  • MIASCOR yet to respond
  • Six airport personnel charged for theft
  • Duterte threatens to kill suspects of theft
  • Duterte wants public apology from airport officials

Metro Manila (CNN Philippines, January 19) — President Rodrigo Duterte wants to terminate the contract with MIASCOR Aviation Services following a case of theft by its personnel.

"I would demand that there will be justice instantly. Kung sino 'yung... service provider diyan [Whoever the service provider is], you terminate the contract and look for another one," Duterte said in a meeting with airport officials on Thursday.

On Friday, Manila International Airport Authority (MIAA) General Manager Eddie Monreal informed the airline service provider that their agreement would not be renewed.

In a letter addressed to MIASCOR President Fidel Herman Reyes, Monreal said the agreement between MIAA and MIASCOR ran from July 8, 2014 to March 31, 2017.

"Please vacate and return all premises occupied by MIASCOR inside the airport complex and its terminals within 60 days from date," Monreal wrote.

MIASCOR has yet to comment on the incident following the President's remarks.

Six airport personnel from the service provider face charges of theft for stealing an overseas Filipino worker's luggage.

Related: Duterte warns airport officials against reports of passengers finding their luggage opened

The suspects were terminated from work, and their all-access passes to the airport were revoked. Miascor paid the OFW almost P83,000 in losses.

The victim, Jovenil Dela Cruz from Pandi, Bulacan, returned to the Philippines via Clark Airport in December 23. His luggage was not returned until January 10.

In a video posted online, Dela Cruz showed the luggage had zippers forcibly opened and a box he brought was empty. He added it was only half of the baggage he brought home.

Clark International Airport Corp. Acting President Alexander Cauguiran told Duterte on Thursday that the six personnel admitted to stealing the luggage during an investigation conducted by Miascor.

He added they had already been relieved and charged, but Duterte threatened to kill them instead.

"Patayin mo na lang," said Duterte. "Walang areglo diyan. 'Pag hindi, parusahan ko kayo. Kung hindi ninyo gawin, ako ang papatay diyan."

"Sabihin mo talaga 'yan sa MIASCOR na -- gusto niyo kayo ang pumatay niyan? Kay 'pag hindi, kayo ang bibirahin ko," he added.

[Translation: Kill them instead... No settlements. If not, I'll punish you. If you can't do it, I'll kill them myself... Tell MIASCOR -- do you want to kill them yourselves? If not, I'll turn on you instead.]

Duterte told airport officials to release a public apology and warned others not to make the same mistake.

"So for the other airports in the country, I do not want it repeated ever again... I would also demand that the airport authorities should call the complainant and make amends, maybe in public to apologize for the sloppy job that we are doing," he added.

Miascor also operates in the five major airports in the country: Manila, Clark, Cebu, Davao and Kalibo. The airline services provider specializes in ground handling, cargo handling and warehousing, and in-flight catering.

CNN Philippines stringer Justine Dizon and correspondent Rex Remitio contributed to this story.