TIMELINE: The Mayon eruption

enablePagination: false
maxItemsPerPage: 10
totalITemsFound:
maxPaginationLinks: 10
maxPossiblePages:
startIndex:
endIndex:

Thousands have been evacuated as Albay's 'perfect cone' volcano has been spewing ash and lava since Jan. 13. (FILE PHOTO)

Metro Manila (CNN Philippines, January 30) — After nearly four years of relative peace, the country's most active volcano once again unleashes the power beneath its picturesque "perfect cone."

Thousands of residents in Albay province have been evacuated as Mayon spews lava and enormous plumes of ash, with heavy rains channeling volcanic mudflows or "lahar" into the province's waterways.

Here's what's happened so far:

January 13

The Philippine Institute of Volcanology and Seismology (Phivolcs) reports a "phreatic" or steam-driven ash eruption at 5:06 p.m.

Provincial disaster officials in Albay order the immediate evacuation of residents in 16 barangays within the 6-kilometer-radius of the Permanent Danger Zone (PDZ).

READ: Mayon Volcano spews ash, residents told to exercise caution

January 14

Phivolcs records two phreatic eruptions on Sunday morning, with the agency raising Alert Level 2 over Mayon due to increasing unrest.

The National Disaster Risk Reduction and Coordinating Council (NDRRMC) says 919 families have sought shelter at four public schools in Camalig and Guinobatan, Albay.

By 8 p.m., Phivolcs raises Alert Level 3 over the volcano as the beginnings of lava flow are spotted, warning of an "increased tendency toward eruption" that may occur within days or weeks.

The agency also recommends extending the PDZ to include a 7-kilometer-radius Extended Danger Zone (EDZ) to the south of the volcano due to the dangers of rockfall, landslides and hazardous volcanic flows.

READ: Authorities warn of Mayon eruption as lava flow spotted

January 15

Phivolcs reports lava slowly flowing out of Mayon's crater on Monday morning. Pyroclastic flow, which contains fragments, ash and volcanic gas, is also observed.

Albay's Provincial Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Office says more than 4,300 residents within a 7-kilometer radius of the volcano have evacuated and sought shelter in schools. Thus, classes from kinder to senior high school in all public and private schools in the province have been suspended.

READ: Mayon Volcano eruption: What you need to know

Some airlines have also announced flight cancellations.

January 16

The provincial government declares a state of calamity over Albay, which allows the local government to fully mobilize all agencies and resources to respond to emergencies, as Mayon threatens a hazardous eruption.

At least nine volcanic earthquakes and 75 lava collapses are recorded on Tuesday, resulting in rockfall.

Plumes of ash as high as two kilometers eventually fall on barangays in Camalig, Guinobatan, and Polangui.

Disaster officials say as of 5 p.m., there are more than 34,000 evacuees from 25 affected barangays in the municipalities and cities of Camalig, Guinobatan, Ligao City, Daraga, Tabaco City, and Malilipot.

Meanwhile, in the provincial capital Legazpi City, Mayor Noel Rosal orders a preemptive evacuation in five barangays inside the 7-kilometer EDZ south of Mayon.

READ: Albay under state of calamity due to Mayon Volcano eruption

January 17

Authorities warn Albay residents of possible mudflow or "lahar" from Mayon volcano as nonstop rains hit the province.

Phivolcs records more volcanic activies in the last 24 hours: 143 lava flows to Barangay Miisi, Daraga and Matanag and Buyuan in the capital Legazpi City.

The volcano also emits over 30,000 tons of sulfur dioxide on Tuesday. The normal sulfur emission is 500 tons per day.

READ: Authorities warn residents vs possible lahar from Mayon

January 18

Almost 8,000 residents from Legazpi City are allowed to go home on Thursday even as Mayon Volcano continues to spew lava.

Phivolcs officials give the go signal for their return home in Legazpi, which is outside the seven-kilometer extended danger zone around the erupting Mayon.

Presidential Spokesperson Harry Roque assures local officials that help is coming, saying that the Social Welfare and Health Departments have allocated P22-million of relief assistance for evacuees.

READ: Legazpi residents allowed to go home amid Mayon Volcano unrest

January 22

Phivolcs raises Alert Level 4 over Mayon, which warns of an imminent hazardous eruption, possibly within days or weeks.

This is one notch down from the highest level, Alert Level 5, which means that a hazardous eruption is taking place.

At 2:21 p.m., aviation authorities temporarily close Legazpi airport -- some 15 kilometers away from Mayon -- due to the volcano's continued release of ash, which is hazardous to aircraft.

READ: PHIVOLCS raises alert level 4 over Mayon Volcano

January 23

Phivolcs records more eruptions, with Mayon emitting a giant five-kilometer ash cloud at around 9 a.m., followed by another three-kilometer column of ash past noon.

At 5:55 p.m., Mayon spouts a lava fountain around 600 meters high.

Albay Governor Al Bichara says the provincial government is considering extending the radius of the danger zone near the volcano to nine kilometers.

READ: Mayon erupts anew, spews more columns of ash

January 24

Mayon continues to spew thick ash clouds, with some reaching five kilometers high.

CNN Philippines captures an ash eruption at around 6:05 a.m., followed by another at around 10:56 a.m.

More columns of ash are recorded past noon.

Phivolcs Director Renato Solidum says the volcano is undergoing strombolian activity, which means frequent and moderate eruptions are expected.

Meanwhile, the Australian government announces that it will provide up to AUS$775,000 (around ?31.5 million) to help tens of thousands of people in evacuation centers.

Albay's local Health Department office reports there are over 602 cases of residents suffering from coughs and colds, and 596 cases of acute respiratory infection from January 15 to 23.

READ: Mayon volcano spews thick ash cloud anew

Vice President Leni Robredo visits some affected towns in Albay, saying her office will give funds for the evacuees.

January 25

Mayon spews lava fountains and ash clouds every four to five hours: the latest at 6:20 a.m, following an eruption at 2 a.m., as well as 10 p.m. and 6 p.m.

Gov. Bichara says funds for Mayon evacuees are running out, adding that they will have to rely on the generosity of national government agencies for additional funds.

As of January 24, the NDRRMC reports a total of ?28,989,392 worth of assistance to residents of Albay.

More than 72,000 people are crammed in evacuation centers from the 10 affected municipalities of the province.

READ: Mayon volcano spews thick ash cloud anew

January 26

Between 6:11 a.m. Thursday to 2:31 a.m. Friday, there are episodes of intense and sporadic lava fountaining from the crater. 

Mayon then erupts again at 6:20 a.m. Friday

As of Friday morning, authorities estimate 25 million cubic meters of volcanic material — roughly 30 percent of its volcanic material capacity — are expelled from Mayon.

READ: Officials assure enough water supply in Albay as Mayon rumbles

More than 83,000 residents from 56 barangays in Albay have been affected by Mayon's continuing eruptions.

More than a thousand evacuees are suffering from coughs and cold all over Albay, while a number of children have been stricken with diarrhea.

READ: Officials: More Mayon evacuees getting sick

Government agencies have extended nearly ₱33 million in assistance to the residents.

January 27

After returning from his trip to India, President Rodrigo Duterte says he may visit Albay in one to two days, despite the difficult conditions for aircraft.

"It's the wind current you have to worry about because it will bring the ashes to where you are," he said. "But if it's safe to go there, and even if it's not, you give me the space to land, if I'm cleared, I'll go there, in about one or two days."

Duterte adds the national government will fully support Albay.

"I'd like to assure Governor Bichara, nahulog na 'yung pera [the money has been sent]," he said, referring to Albay Governor Al Bichara. "So the delay must be somewhere else, pero hindi kami [but not us]."

READ: Duterte: I may visit Albay in 1-2 days

January 28

Authorities record four eruptions since midnight — at 12:45 a.m., 5:36 a.m., 10:33 a.m., and 3:25 p.m.

Phivolcs also confirms spotting "lahar" or volcanic mudflows in Mi-isi and Budiao channel traversing two towns in Albay.

Mi-isi-Budiao channel straddles the borders of Daraga and Camalig, areas closes to the volcano.

As of Sunday morning, 21,000 families or 81,200 individuals seek shelter in evacuation centers due to the activities of the volcano.

READ: PHIVOLCS confirms lahar near Mayon amid heavy rains

January 29

President Rodrigo Duterte hands over ₱20 million in initial funding to Gov. Bichara.

"I'll give you initially today ₱20 million and I will augment it tomorrow by sending you about ₱50 (million). For the operation, lahat na, for pagkain [for food],"  the President said.

Duterte also says Agriculture Secretary Manny Piñol and Undersecretary Berna Romulo-Puyat are ready to distribute funds for agriculture, as farms have been affected by the eruption.

READ: Duterte gives ₱20-M to Albay residents affected by Mayon eruption

Some schools in Legazpi City, Tabaco City, Malilipot, Guinobatan, Ligao City, Camalig and Daraga have announced the resumption of special scheme classes.

March 6

PHIVOLCS downgrades the status of the Mayon Volcano from alert level 4 to 3. It says the alert level was lowered because there was a general decline in the volcano's unrest in the past week.

READ: PHIVOLCS lowers Mayon Volcano status to alert level 3

This is a developing story. Please refresh the page for updates.