DOLE executive resigns due to delay in ending labor contractualization

enablePagination: false
maxItemsPerPage: 10
totalITemsFound:
maxPaginationLinks: 10
maxPossiblePages:
startIndex:
endIndex:

Labor Usec. Say says he resigned to provide leeway for someone better to do the job. (FILE PHOTO)

Metro Manila (CNN Philippines) - The Labor Undersecretary for policy, employment and regional operations has submitted his resignation saying he was not doing well enough to resolve the country's contractualization dilemma.

"As the dept. official in charge of policy, I felt I was not doing well enough in order to articulate and blend the interests of both labor and management, and so the issue of contractualization could not see its fruitful conclusion," Usec. Dominador Say told CNN Philippines via text message. 

Say said he resigned to give Labor Secretary Silvestre H. Bello III the leeway to appoint someone better for the job.

"I had to give him more elbow room to place someone who can best capture the sentiments of all stakeholders," he added.

Say said his resignation letter is currently with Executive Secretary Salvador Medialdea and will be effective once approved.  

 

Ending 'endo'

Labor groups have been lobbying to end illegal forms of contractualization or "endo" where workers are repeatedly hired on five-month contracts. The signing of the Executive Order (EO) to stop endo has already been postponed twice this year. 

READ: Labor groups lose hope on 'endo' EO

Sentro ng mga Nagkakaisa at Progresibong Manggagawa released a statement on Wednesday accepting Say's resignation with hopes that it would speed up the signing of the order.

"We welcome the gesture of Usec Say. We hope that his resignation would now pave the way for the immediate issuance of an EO by President Duterte that will make direct hiring by the principal employer as the norm in employment relations," its statement said.

President Rodrigo Duterte vowed to end contractualization during his presidential campaign.  

 

Former officials

The undersecretary's resignation comes after President Rodrigo Duterte's recent announcement that he has fired more officials. 

"You know, I'm very sad to inform you that as of last week I fired another set of high officials," he said in a speech Tuesday during the oath-taking of newly appointed officials. 

Duterte has sacked several department heads such as Philippine Maritime Industry Authority (Marina) chief Marcial Amaro III, Dangerous Drugs Board Chief Diniosio Santiago, and Interior Secretary Ismael "Mike" Sueno, who were allegedly engaged in corruption. 

READ: Duterte to fire more corrupt officials

The President did not disclose who the newly laid-off officials were but said they were among those who urged him to run for the presidency. 

"Ayaw ko sana 'yung mawalaan ako ng bilib sa kaibigan o kakilala. I hate it because I know you - they meant well. But along the way, may papasok talaga na kalokohan ang p***," the President said. 

[Translation: As much as possible I don't want to lose confidence in a friend or acquaintance. I hate it because I know you -- they -- meant  well. But along the way, misdeeds are committed]

Say is the fifth official who resigned from the cabinet following former Justice Secretary Vitaliano Aguirre, Informations Technology chief Rodolfo Salalima, National Irrigation Authority chief Peter Laviña and Vice President Leni Robredo - who chaired the Housing and Urban Development Coordinating Council. 

READ: Menardo Guevarra replaces Vitaliano Aguirre as Justice Secretary