Teo attends Cabinet meeting amid PTV-4 ad controversy, call for resignation

enablePagination: false
maxItemsPerPage: 10
totalITemsFound:
maxPaginationLinks: 10
maxPossiblePages:
startIndex:
endIndex:

Metro Manila (CNN Philippines, May 7) — Tourism Secretary Wanda Tulfo-Teo attended the 25th Cabinet Meeting in Malacañang palace on Monday, despite calls for her resignation for her office's payment of P60 Million for television advertisement on the show of her brothers on state-run network PTV-4.

In a press briefing earlier Monday, Presidential spokesperson Harry Roque said there is no reason why Teo could not attend the meeting.

"Lahat po ng Cabinet members (All Cabinet members) are in fact required, not invited, to attend the Cabinet meeting," Roque said.

Photos from both Special Assistant to the President Christopher "Bong Go" and the Presidential Photographers Division showed Teo shaking hands with President Rodrigo Duterte. There were no immediate details if the ad controversy was discussed at the Cabinet meeting or if Teo and Duterte talked about it.

On May 3, Roque also said the President still trusts Teo.

"Every Cabinet member, unless they are fired, enjoys the trust and confidence of the President," he said.

The Tourism Secretary has been in hot water after the Commission on Audit revealed her department has placed P60 million-worth of TV advertisements on the show of her brothers, Ben and Erwin Tulfo, on PTV-4.

READ: Tulfos to return P60M from DOT ad deal to end controversy – Teo's lawyer

Teo's legal counsel Ferdinand Topacio said Bitag Media Unlimited Inc., the media outfit owned by Ben Tulfo, will return the P60 million paid to them by the Tourism Department.

Activist group Akbayan said the move to return the money is an admission of guilt. The group also continued to call on Teo to resign from her post.

READ: Opposition solons want Tourism Secretary Tulfo-Teo to resign over PTV-4 ad deal

Roque previously said the Palace is already investigating the matter.