Muntinlupa court denies De Lima's request to attend son's graduation

enablePagination: false
maxItemsPerPage: 10
maxPaginationLinks: 10

Metro Manila (CNN Philippines, May 28) — Senator Leila de Lima's request to attend her son's graduation had been denied by the Court.

De Lima filed the furlough request on May 15, asking she be allowed to attend her son's graduation from San Beda College-Alabang School of Law on June 3.

She also requested to be allowed to spend two to three hours with her son and family after the event.

In a three-page decision released Monday, Muntinlupa Regional Trial Court Branch 205 presiding judge Amelia A. Fabros-Corpuz denied De Lima's "very urgent motion for furlough" saying – among other reasons – the Senator's presence at the event would disrupt the solemnity of the event and that the "risk of flight" would be "very high."


The decision also said de Lima's supporters and escorts could also disrupt the event for other attendees.

"Being charged with a crime punishable by life imprisonment, and non-bailable, and more importantly, being charged of a crime punishable by RA (Republic Act No.) 9165 or the Comprehensive Dangerous Drugs Act of 2002, accused de Lima cannot be given a different treatment as that of other prisoners whose liberty is curtailed, pending the final resolution of their criminal case," Corpuz said

However, Corpuz said despite de Lima being unable to physically attend the ceremony, advancements in technology, or relatives could record the event and have the senator watch it from her detention facility.

"De Lima's family may celebrate the occasion with her in Camp Crame during visiting hours, even during the same day, if they wish to, without endangering themselves or other people during the conduct of the same," it added.

The Senator has yet to give a statement on the matter.

De Lima was previously granted a one-day furlough in March, where she underwent a CT scan at the Philippine Heart Center in Quezon City to have her liver problem checked.

She was arrested in February 2017 over drug allegations.