Peace talks with Reds not resuming as announced

enablePagination: false
maxItemsPerPage: 10
totalITemsFound:
maxPaginationLinks: 10
maxPossiblePages:
startIndex:
endIndex:

Metro Manila (CNN Philippines, June 14) — Formal peace talks between the government and communist rebels will not resume on June 28 as earlier announced by National Democractic Front (NDF) chief consultant Jose Maria Sison.

In a press briefing on Thursday, Presidential Peace Adviser Jesus Dureza said the negotiations in Oslo, Norway would "not happen as originally set and as originally announced by the media" as more consultations with the public were needed.

"The President said let's reset. Give us time to work some more," Dureza explained, adding that President Rodrigo Duterte wanted an "implementable" peace deal.

Representatives of the government and the rebels had been holding back channel discussions on going back to the negotiating table, after Duterte walked away from the talks in November 2017. The President ended the on-and-off negotiations with Communist rebels as both sides accused each other of violating their ceasefire agreement.

READ: How peace talks with communist rebels failed  

The Duterte administration is the sixth to hold peace talks with the NDF, political wing of the Communist Party of the Philippines, which has been waging nearly five decades of insurgency against the government.