Over 3,000 evacuees from Marikina return to homes

enablePagination: false
maxItemsPerPage: 10
totalITemsFound:
maxPaginationLinks: 10
maxPossiblePages:
startIndex:
endIndex:

Thousands of residents have left evacuation centers to check on their homes, as water levels of the Marikina River continue to go down. (FILE PHOTO)

Metro Manila (CNN Philippines, August 12) — Over 3,000 evacuees have returned to their homes when the floods lessened, as the water levels of the Marikina River declined. 

As of 2 p.m. Sunday, the water level was at 16 meters, remaining at second alarm, which indicates preemptive evacuation. The Marikina River reached its peak at 11 p.m. Saturday, at 20.6 meters, prompting a forced evacuation from all residents. Water levels began subsiding at 1 a.m. Sunday.
 

The local government said at 10 a.m., there were 18,881 evacuees remained out of 23,000 residents, who evacuated two hours earlier in public schools and gyms designated as evacuation centers.

 

 

Meanwhile, authorities have confirmed that a man died yesterday amid the massive flooding in the city.

According to disaster management officials, the unnamed casualty died of electrocution while trying to save his motorcycle submerged in flood water.

 

Hundreds leave homes

In Malabon and Valenzuela, hundreds of evacuees remain in temporary shelters due to heavy rains and floods.

Valenzuela City Public Information Officer Lauro Zyan Caina reported 400 people are currently housed in evacuation centers in Barangays Marulas and Malanday. 

In Malabon, Public Information Official Bong Padua said floods caused by an overflowing dike in Obando, Bulacan forced about 300 families to leave their homes and take shelter in Barangay Dampalit. 

Malacañang urged residents in all affected localities to remain in their respective evacuation centers, and assured the public they are coordinating with concerned agencies to address their needs. 

"Patuloy naman ang pakikipag-ugnayan ng mga ahensya ng gobyerno upang tugunan ang pangangailangan ng mga apektadong residente at siguraduhin ang kaligtasan ng lahat," its statement said. 

[Translation: Coordination is ongoing among concerned agencies in order to address the needs of the affected residents and to ensure everyone's safety.]

The National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council reported that there have been 961 areas affected by floods at 6 a.m. in Metro Manila and Regions I, III, CALABARZON, MIMROPA, VI, X and Cordillera. Floods from 762 of these areas have already subsided, the council added. 

Malacañang said affected families have been provided assistance worth ₱120,409,360.92 since Saturday.