Bongbong Marcos defends sister's 'move on' remark

enablePagination: false
maxItemsPerPage: 10
totalITemsFound:
maxPaginationLinks: 10
maxPossiblePages:
startIndex:
endIndex:

Former Senator Bongbong Marcos says he and his family have been asked questions on martial law "a thousand times."

Metro Manila (CNN Philippines, August 24) — The son of the late former President Ferdinand Marcos defended his sister after she drew flak for telling critics of martial law to "move on."

"I understand my sister, because ang pinag-uusapan is something that happened 32 years ago. It since was decided. The government fell. Kinasuhan kami. May desisyon kontra sa'min ang mga kaso [Cases were filed against us, and the decisions were not in our favor]. It's done," former Senator Bongbong Marcos said in a media briefing Friday.

Marcos said he and his family have been asked questions on martial law "a thousand times."

"Ano pang gusto ninyong gawin? There are so many problems na hinaharap ng taumbayan, na hinaharap ng mga Pilipino. Ba't natin pinag-aaksayahan ng panahon eh tapos na 'yun eh?" he added.

[Translation: What else do they want to do? There are so many problems the public is facing, so why are we wasting time on something that has long been resolved?]

The more than two-decade Marcos regime was mired in controversy, including alleged human rights abuses and amassing of ill-gotten wealth estimated at $10 billion.

But Imee Marcos, governor of the Marcos bailiwick Ilocos Norte, said younger people have moved on from these issues.

READ: Imee Marcos draws ire for 'move on' remark

This did not sit well with critics, especially from members of the Liberal Party (LP). The LP is affiliated with the Aquinos, the Marcoses' political rivals.

The former senator dodged questions on whether or not their family will apologize for the supposed atrocities.

"I have spoken about this at least a thousand times. You can look back on what I've said before and I will say the same thing," he told reporters.

Marcos previously said he cannot apologize for his father's mistakes.

"I have said this before and I will say it again: I will apologize for any wrongdoing that I may have done and any mistake that will have caused anyone any pain or hardship but I can only apologize for myself," Marcos said during the vice presidential debate organized by the Commission on Elections, KBP, CNN Philippines and Business Mirror on April 10, 2016.

He reiterated there were no deals between their family and President Rodrigo Duterte over the return of the amassed wealth.

"There are no negotiations going on on any stolen anything," Marcos said.

He added these comments keep cropping up because of politics.

"It's political. It's a political maneuver to try and raise again a political question that was successful for our detractors many many years ago," he said.