Bongbong Marcos won't take Duterte's successor remark seriously

enablePagination: false
maxItemsPerPage: 10
totalITemsFound:
maxPaginationLinks: 10
maxPossiblePages:
startIndex:
endIndex:

Former Senator Bongbong Marcos hopes his poll protest with Vice President Leni Robredo will be resolved.

Metro Manila (CNN Philippines, August 24) —  Former Senator Bongbong Marcos downplayed President Rodrigo Duterte's comment for him to succeed the president.

"I think the President is doing all of this tongue-in-cheek," Marcos said in a media briefing in Manila Friday. "I wouldn't take it so seriously, kasi I think he knows kailangan pa rin siyang maging pangulo at marami pang inaasahan sa kanya ang taumbayan [ he still needs to be President and there are plenty more expectations from him]. And I think he knows that."

Presidential Spokesperson Harry Roque earlier said Duterte may step down if Marcos will become his successor. The President had earlier said he wants the likes of Marcos and Senator Chiz Escudero to take his place.

"Pine-playtime lang tayo ni Presidente [The President is just playing with us]," he added.

Vice President Leni Robredo was not in Duterte's options, as the President said she could not handle the job.

Marcos, an ally of Duterte, has a pending electoral protest with Robredo before the Presidential Electoral Tribunal (PET). The tribunal had begun the manual vote recount of the 2016 vice presidential race last April.

The former senator hopes his poll protest will be resolved soon.

"I'm hoping it will be done before the elections of next year," he said.

Marcos lost to Robredo by 263,473 votes. The former senator had claimed of ballot fraud.