Xiamen Air flight recordings arrive in PH

enablePagination: false
maxItemsPerPage: 10
totalITemsFound:
maxPaginationLinks: 10
maxPossiblePages:
startIndex:
endIndex:

Metro Manila (CNN Philippines, September 3) — The cockpit voice recorder of the Xiamen Airways aircraft that caused the runway mishap at the Ninoy Aquino International Airport (NAIA) is now back in the country.

The Civil Aviation Authority of the Philippines (CAAP) confirmed the data recordings of the flight arrived in Manila on August 31, after it was sent to Singapore for analysis.

In a statement, the CAAP Aircraft Investigation and Inquiry Board (CAAP-AIIB) said the contents of the recorder remain in good quality.

Authorities have yet to disclose details of the recordings, but spokesperson Eric Apolonio said the investigation is more than halfway through.

Hundreds of flights were cancelled and diverted when the Xiamen Airways flight skidded off the NAIA runway on August 16. The mishap also left thousands of passengers stranded.

The main airport resumed normal operations five days later on August 21.

The Senate Committee on Public Services commenced a probe  on the runway incident last week. Airport officials said the airline has to pay over ₱30 million to the Philippine government for the disservice.

The House of Representatives is also set to conduct a hearing on the issue on September 5.

CAAP authorities, meanwhile, said they will release an official report once investigation and analysis are concluded.