Makati court defers issuing arrest warrant vs. Trillanes

enablePagination: false
maxItemsPerPage: 10
totalITemsFound:
maxPaginationLinks: 10
maxPossiblePages:
startIndex:
endIndex:

Metro Manila (CNN Philippines, September 13) — The Department of Justice (DOJ) on Thursday failed to get from a Makati court an arrest warrant against Senator Antonio Trillanes, after President Rodrigo Duterte voided his amnesty.

Instead, the Makati Regional Trial Court Branch 148 asked Trillanes to provide supplemental comments and a rejoinder to the DOJ's petition for an arrest warrant and a hold departure order against him, within 10 days after the hearing.

READ: Trillanes forms legal team for amnesty battle

The court also instructed the DOJ to reply within five days of receipt of these comments.

"The motion will then be considered submitted for resolution," Makati RTC 148 Spokesperson Mara Peralta said in a press briefing.

Trillanes' lawyer, Atty. Rey Robles, said they have yet to answer the factual issues in the motion since they raised the matters initially to the Supreme Court. The high court, however, ruled that the RTC where the motions were filed must address these.

Duterte had earlier assured that no arrest will be made until the courts produce a warrant against Trillanes, who is currently staying at the Senate.

The Makati court has not set a date for resolving the case. The Rules of Court state that a judge has 30 days to do so, but he can issue a resolution earlier.

"Given the immediate need to resolve the motion, it's up to the presiding judge to solve it in an earlier time," Peralta added.

A similar motion was filed at the Makati RTC Branch 150, the court which dismissed Trillanes' rebellion case.

The DOJ filed the motions in compliance with Duterte's Proclamation 572 which voided Trillanes' amnesty since August 31.