2nd Makati court defers Trillanes arrest order, travel ban

enablePagination: false
maxItemsPerPage: 10
totalITemsFound:
maxPaginationLinks: 10
maxPossiblePages:
startIndex:
endIndex:

Metro Manila (CNN Philippines, September 14) — No civilian court will issue an arrest warrant and travel ban order against Senator Antonio Trillanes IV for now.

Makati Regional Trial Court Branch 150 Judge Elmo Alameda on Friday asked the Department of Justice reply within five days on Trillanes' comments. It also asked Trillanes to file a rejoinder on the agency's petition for an arrest warrant and hold departure order against the senator after five days.

During the hearing, Trillanes' chief legal counsel Rey Robles presented evidence proving there is no basis for President Rodrigo Duterte to void the amnesty granted to the senator in 2011.

Robles presented the media report of Trillanes filing his amnesty application, but Alameda said it is secondary evidence. The judge asked for a copy of the application form. Robles said they will get an affidavit from the officer who facilitated Trillanes' amnesty application in January 2011.

Robles said the burden to present evidence should fall on the DOJ.

Trillanes welcomed the decision of Alameda.

"I am encouraged na ang ating lower courts are asserting their independence. They're doing the right thing so far," he said.

Branch 150 handles Trillanes' rebellion case which was dismissed in 2011. But the prosecution insisted since his amnesty was voided through Duterte's Proclamation 572, the case is still active and they have to present their evidence against Trillanes.

On Thursday, Makati Regional Trial Court Branch 148 also deferred to issue an arrest warrant and hold departure order, pending a response from Trillanes to the motion. The court had dismissed a separate coup d' etat case.

CNN Philippines correspondent Anjo Alimario contributed to this report.