Baguio isolated due to #OmpongPH

enablePagination: false
maxItemsPerPage: 10
totalITemsFound:
maxPaginationLinks: 10
maxPossiblePages:
startIndex:
endIndex:

Metro Manila (CNN Philippines, September 15) — The 'summer Capital of the Philippines' has been isolated with all access roads closed in the aftermath of typhoon Ompong.

The access roads to Baguio City include Naguilian Road, Marcos Highway and Kennon Road.

"We're in the process of clearing pero hindi ko muna irrecommend na either umakyat sa Baguio o bumaba sa Baguio gawa ng landslides," said Public Works Secretary Mark Villar said.

[Translation: We're in the process of clearing but I don't recommend going or leaving Baguio due to landslides.]

He added emergency responders are conducting clearing operations, but bad weather is making the work difficult.

In an interview with CNN Philippines, Baguio City Mayor Mauricio Domogan said they expect two small access roads to be opened on Sunday.

Disaster management officials warned more landslides could happen in the Cordilleras, where 42 landslides have been reported so far.

Defense Secretary Delfin Lorenzana said Baggao in Cagayan province suffered the most damage.

He said he has received reports of massive damage to crops, power towers and houses.

Communication is down in the town's eight barangays.

Eight provinces are also without electricity.

Disaster officials have also warned of big waves in coastal areas. All types of vessel are still banned from sailing, leaving more than 4,800 passengers stranded in a number of ports.