DENR temporarily suspends all quarrying activities in PH

enablePagination: false
maxItemsPerPage: 10
totalITemsFound:
maxPaginationLinks: 10
maxPossiblePages:
startIndex:
endIndex:

Metro Manila (CNN Philippines, September 21) — Environment Secretary Roy Cimatu on Friday temporarily suspended all quarrying activities in the country, following the deadly landslide in Naga City, Cebu.

Activities to extract stones or construction materials from land will be stopped for 15 days.

"I would like to make sure this is not continued and nothing of this kind will happen in another quarry," said Cimatu, who visited the landslide site.

Around 60 houses in the villages of Tinaan and Naalad were buried when heavy rains triggered a landslide in a quarrying site on Thursday. Some of the trapped residents were workers of Apo Land and Quarry Corp., a CEMEX company, which has mining rights where the landslide happened. At least 29 have died, including two workers of Apo Land, and some 60 remain missing.

Apo Land representative Chito Maniago said they have mining rights over the area, but they have not yet begun operations.

Cimatu said they have to review the permits of Apo Land after the incident.

"I have to ascertain that the plan before or the map that they prepared is still applicable," Cimatu said.

Earlier this week, Cimatu also ordered a stop to all small-scale mining operations in the Cordillera Administrative Region following the dozens of landslides recorded in the region due to Typhoon Ompong.

CNN Philippines correspondent Makoi Popioco contributed to this report.