Military: 'Red October' plans include Kadamay occupation, rally sabotage

enablePagination: false
maxItemsPerPage: 10
totalITemsFound:
maxPaginationLinks: 10
maxPossiblePages:
startIndex:
endIndex:

Highlights

  • AFP claims there are 'nine plans' under Red October
  • AFP alleges CPP plans to attack a rally, akin to Plaza Miranda bombing
  • Military cites documents found in General Santos raid; CPP says raid is an 'AFP invention'
  • Parlade denies holding grudge against PNoy
  • Bayan SecGen, CPP: Engaging with foreign countries, international courts are legitimate actions
  • CPP: Why would we sabotage our own rally?

Metro Manila (CNN Philippines, September 27) — The Communist Party of the Philippines (CPP) has nine plans under a supposed plot to oust President Rodrigo Duterte, the Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) claimed on Thursday.

Among the plans cited by AFP Assistant Deputy Chief for Operations Brigadier General Antonio Parlade was the Kadamay occupation of government housing in Pandi, Bulacan.

"They still have this plan, Okupasyon. In Cebu, Iloilo, Bacolod, all these housing projects of the government — they intend to occupy [that]," Parlade told CNN Philippines' The Source.

He also named the upcoming indigenous mobilization, Lakbay Lumad Europe, scheduled in November.

"They are exposing these alleged extrajudicial killings of the administration [and] alleged killings of [indigenous peoples] in Mindanao," he said.

He also mentioned that Bayan Secretary General Renato Reyes was in Europe for that purpose. In a call with CNN Philippines' Balitaan on Thursday, Reyes said he just returned from Europe after the International People's Tribunal (IPT) in Belgium found Duterte guilty of violating human rights.

Parlade did not expound on the other plans.

But when pressed on what exactly the military was expecting for the ouster plot, Parlade responded that the opposition might gather a crowd critical of the government, but the CPP would disrupt the protest.

"There are groups near Metro Manila, Bulacan, and Rizal getting ready in case they want to pursue this sabotage of rallies, just like the Plaza Miranda bombing. Then [they will] blame the President for doing such," said Parlade.

The 1971 Plaza Miranda bombing was a grenade attack on a Liberal Party "miting de avance." Malacañang blamed the communists for the event, but many attributed the attack to then-President Ferdinand Marcos, who would eventually use the bombing to justify rising insurgency and his later declaration of martial law.

President Rodrigo Duterte has repeatedly accused the CPP, the Liberal Party, and Magdalo group of conspiring to unseat him in a plot called "Red October." The CPP on Tuesday said its armed wing was "not strong enough" to overthrow Duterte and dismissed the accusation as "nothing but an AFP invention." Opposition lawmakers also washed their hands of the ouster.

Parlade said the plot has existed since September last year, but it was uncovered after the military retrieved nine laptops from alleged CPP members during a General Santos raid in July.

However, the CPP said they were not even aware of such a raid.

Parlade also said the Liberal Party and Akbayan were among those named in the documents, but he stopped short of accusing them of knowingly collaborating toward an ouster. He added they were "being used... to muster support."

Parlade denied that his current pronouncements had to do with a grudge against former President Benigno Aquino III. Under Aquino's term in 2011, Parlade was dismissed as AFP spokesperson.

Left retorts: Our actions are legitimate

Reyes told Balitaan in a phone call that assemblies like Lakbay Lumad and raising concerns at international tribunals were all within the bounds of law.

"Human rights victims are well within their rights para magreklamo, para maghanap ng [to complain, to look for] venues to air their grievance... I don't think there's anything wrong, much less illegal, about these legitimate activities," said Reyes.

He added that turning to the IPT, and appealing to the International Criminal Court to investigate the Philippines, are valid actions.

The CPP also echoed the legitimacy of these assemblies in a statement to CNN Philippines.

"As far as we know, the activities Gen. Parlade cites as evidence are being undertaken openly by various sectoral groups and are, in fact, announced in social media," it said. "It is becoming more apparent that the AFP and Duterte want to crack down on legitimate forms of protest and democratic expression."

 

Parlade said activists were "trying to generate support" abroad, suggesting their actions may have to do with money.

"And they generate so many millions, hundreds of millions, from these international organizations for the Communist Party," he said.

But Reyes maintains they only want justice for human rights victims.

"[What we want] is to generate international sympathy for human rights victims... so the abuses will stop," said Reyes.

The CPP also said the AFP has "the same mindset" as Marcos when they raised the Plaza Miranda bombing.

"Why will the CPP disrupt mass rallies when, on the other hand, it aims to come up with a 'critical mass,' as Gen. Parlade claims?" the party said. "He is being self-contradictory, to say the least."