Gadon denies filling wrong candidacy form; Comelec says he did

enablePagination: false
maxItemsPerPage: 10
totalITemsFound:
maxPaginationLinks: 10
maxPossiblePages:
startIndex:
endIndex:

Metro Manila (CNN Philippines, October 12) — Senatorial aspirant Larry Gadon denied filling up the wrong form when he filed for his certificate of candidacy on Friday – but the Commission on Elections (Comelec) says otherwise.

Gadon attributed the delay to missing photos. He said he had brought a form which was wrong, but he had not filled it. He added that he spent his time filling the correct form.

"Hindi na-submit yung isa. They gave me a new one. (The first one) was not yet accomplished," said Gadon. "Kulang din talaga ang picture. Pinakuha ko pa sa kotse."

 

After Gadon left the Comelec, the secretariat said he did fill up the wrong form and it was even notarized. This was confirmed by Comelec spokesperson James Jimenez.

"If our lawyer says it was the wrong form, I believe him," said Jimenez. "The form he submitted in the first instance was not the form he should have submitted."

Gadon, who says he is running under the nominations of Kilusang Bagong Lipunan, Lakas-CMD, and Katipunan ng Demokratiko Pilipino, is best known for his impeachment complaint against former Chief Justice Maria Lourdes Sereno.

He also rose to virality when he was seen shouting "Mga bobo [Stupid]!" at her supporters earlier this year. He later made social media videos saying "Hindi sila bobo (They're not stupid)!" and adopted the campaign slogan "Hindi tayo bobo (We're not stupid)!"

But the hullabaloo over his certificate of candidacy was not the only controversy Gadon faced on Friday.

Gadon wants 'Muslim terrorist' children exterminated

Gadon also claims he has moved past his controversial remarks on Muslims, made during a television interview as he campaigned for a senatorial seat in 2016. He was previously quoted as saying he was willing to kill Muslim insurgents, including children.

"Hindi ko sinabi na papatayin ko sila lahat [I didn't say I would kill them all]," Gadon said.

However, he added he is still sticking to his statement on killing "terrorist" children.

"Eh kasi naman, yung [sa] pictures ng mga bata, ginagamit nila," Gadon said in a media briefing. "I'm not referring generally to Muslim children, basta terorista."

[Translation: Because, in those pictures of children, (the terrorists) use them… I'm not referring generally to Muslim children, just terrorists.]

When pressed by a journalist on why he was willing to kill children, Gadon snapped back, "You will allow these children to kill people? So payag ka [You agree with that]?"

He claimed the Muslim community has since forgiven him, and some even offered to campaign for him.

"Wala na iyon, it's no longer an issue," said Gadon. "I am sure they have forgiven me. If you will visit my website, you will see a lot of photos of me with Muslim leaders."

Gadon faces at least four disbarment cases for his remarks on Muslims and his conduct towards Sereno's supporters.