APO Cement to lay off some employees, contractors after Cebu landslide

enablePagination: false
maxItemsPerPage: 10
totalITemsFound:
maxPaginationLinks: 10
maxPossiblePages:
startIndex:
endIndex:

Metro Manila (CNN Philippines, November 13) —  APO Cement Corporation on Tuesday announced it will lay off 30 percent of its employees following the City of Naga, Cebu landslide that killed dozens of people in September.

This is due to the ongoing suspension of operations of the Apo Land and Quarry Corporation (ALQC), which is the material supplier of APO Cement that had been conducting quarrying operations near the rubble-struck area.

In a press statement, APO Cement noted the nearly two-month suspension has continued to "adversely affect" the operations of the whole company.

In addition, APO Cement said it will also reduce 40 percent of its contractors.

The Department of Environment and Natural Resources in September had ordered a temporary stoppage of quarrying operations in the country, following the deadly landslide.

At least 78 people were killed when the landslide buried residents and workers of a quarrying site in the City of Naga on September 20. Some of the casualties were reportedly workers of ALQC. 

APO Cement, meanwhile, said it is hopeful that the situation in the landslide-hit city will soon revert back to normal.

"Even in this very difficult time, we will continue to focus our efforts on helping the community and the City of Naga. We hope that all who are genuinely concerned can focus on doing everything to get the City of Naga back on its feet," said the company's spokesperson, Chito Maniago.