Napoles cites security threat in plea seeking to defer detention transfer

enablePagination: false
maxItemsPerPage: 10
totalITemsFound:
maxPaginationLinks: 10
maxPossiblePages:
startIndex:
endIndex:

Metro Manila (CNN Philippines, December 10) — Businesswoman and alleged pork scam mastermind Janet Lim Napoles has asked the Sandiganbayan to defer her transfer to the women's correctional for security and humanitarian reasons.

The anti-graft court's First Division ordered Napoles' transfer to the Correctional Institution for Women on December 7 after it found her guilty of plunder over an alleged pork barrel scam.

Napoles, in trying to defer her transfer back to the Correctional Institution for Women in Mandaluyong, cited threats to her life. She said the developments in her cases greatly affect her security, considering they involve high-ranking officials.

"It must be stressed that during accused's previous detention at the Correctional Institute for Women, she had already experienced these threats to her life and security," the motion read.

Napoles is detained at the Bureau of Jail Management and Penology in Camp Bagong Diwa in Bicutan.

She was previously detained at the women's correctional from April 2015 to May 2017 after a regional trial court in Makati City found her guilty of illegally detaining pork barrel scam whistleblower Benhur Luy.

That ruling was overturned by the Court of Appeals which resulted in Napoles's transfer back to Camp Bagong Diwa.

Napoles also intends to appeal her conviction. Since her conviction is not yet final, she said she should be allowed to stay in Camp Bagong Diwa.

"The judgment may still be modified as there are still remedies which the accused may exhaust and the period to do so has not yet lapsed," Napoles said in her motion filed on December 7, 2018, just hours after her plunder conviction was handed down.

Napoles was found guilty in the plunder case filed against former senator Bong Revilla, who was acquitted. The court ruled Napoles conspired with Revilla's former staff Richard Cambe, but state prosecutors failed to prove Revilla's involvement in the crime.

Napoles is facing other plunder and graft cases at the Sandiganbayan for allegedly working with lawmakers in diverting their pork barrel to fake nongovernmental organizations in exchange for kickbacks.