1,400 tons of trash to be shipped back to South Korea

enablePagination: false
maxItemsPerPage: 10
totalITemsFound:
maxPaginationLinks: 10
maxPossiblePages:
startIndex:
endIndex:

Fifty-one containers of garbage are ready to be returned to South Korea from Mindanao. (FILE PHOTO)

Tagaloan, Misamis Oriental (CNN Philippines, January 13) — Around 1,400 tons of trash, housed in 51 containers were loaded and ready to be shipped back to South Korea from Mindanao on Sunday. 

The containers, housing from scraps of plastic such as straws, bottles, gloves, styrofoam wrappers and cellophane, to electrical waste namely cables, keyboards and cellphone batteries, were loaded in a ship set for South Korea from the Mindanao International Container Terminal (MICT) in Tagoloan, Misamis Oriental.

This is in line with the agreement between the two countries to return shipments of garbage amounting to a total of 6,500 tons that was illegally shipped to the Philippines in July and October last year.

READ: South Korea to take back drug shipment

MICT Customs Collector Joh Simon said the remaining 5,100 tons left in Mindanao will also be returned to South Korea within a month. 

Environment group, EcoWaste Coalition, applauded the move, calling it a "triumph for environmental justice, morality and the rule of law." 

"By saying 'no' to garbage dumping from Korea and other countries, we say 'no' to the derogation of our country's dignity and sovereignty, 'no' to the disrespect for national and international laws, and 'no' to the harm they will bring to our communities," EcoWaste Coalition National Coordinator Aileen Lucero said. 

Stringer Alwen Saliring contributed to this report.