Duterte: Two Samal kidnappers identified, one of them arrested

enablePagination: false
maxItemsPerPage: 10
totalITemsFound:
maxPaginationLinks: 10
maxPossiblePages:
startIndex:
endIndex:

(File photo)

Davao City (CNN Philippines) — Two of the suspects in the abduction of four tourists on Samal Island on September 21 have already been identified. One of them has reportedly been arrested by the authorities.

Davao City Mayor Rodrigo Duterte made this revelation on Monday afternoon (October 5) after attending the founding anniversary of Santa Cruz, Davao del Sur.

Duterte gave the statement amid the continued refusal of the Special Investigation Task Group (SITG) Oceanview to release any update regarding its probe on the incident.

SITG Oceanview released just one official update and has remained tight-lipped since then.

Duterte said the suspect was identified through the closed-circuit TV footage taken during the abduction.

He admitted being privy to the information as he attended the briefing by the Intelligence Service of the Armed Forces of the Philippines.

Duterte also revealed that the kidnappers could be affiliated with Abu Sayyaf Group.

The SITG, however, said the New People's Army (NPA) could be behind the abduction based on the note left by the kidnappers which claimed they were from the NPA.

Efforts to confirm Duterte's latest revelation from the police and the military proved futile as of this posting.