More than 50,000 living in evacuation centers after floods hit Mindanao, Visayas

enablePagination: false
maxItemsPerPage: 10
totalITemsFound:
maxPaginationLinks: 10
maxPossiblePages:
startIndex:
endIndex:

Metro Manila (CNN Philippines) — More than 50,000 families in the Visayas and Mindanao are still in evacuation centers due to severe floods, the National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council (NDRRMC) said on Sunday.

NDRRMC Spokesperson Mina Marasigan tells CNN Philippines some 11,110 families or 53,975 persons have yet to return to their homes after continuous rains battered several regions and caused floods in Visayas and Mindanao last week.

The severe rains and flooding have left six people dead, and eight injured. Marasigan said numbers are expected to go up as the Department of Interior and Local Government (DILG) is still verifying more than 20 other reported casualties.

But while some provinces are still experiencing light to moderate rains, Marasigan said weather conditions in the affected areas have improved for the most part.

Floods have also subsided in most areas.

"Slowly, the water's going down, so hopefully with better weather there will be no more water in the coming days," Marasigan said.

Regions affected by the floods include Regions 6 to 11, as well as the Caraga Region and the Autonomous Region of Muslim Mindanao.

The NDRRMC is yet to issue a final assessment of the damage caused by the floods. However, initial reports reveal several provinces in the Caraga region and Northern Mindanao experienced severe urban flooding.

Marasigan said relief operations for these regions are currently underway.

"Our national resource operation center of the DSWD has already given additional ready to eat food and food packs. This is over and above the pre-positioned relief supplies already for our communities," she said.