Mandatory evacuation ordered in Camarines Sur due to floods

enablePagination: false
maxItemsPerPage: 10
totalITemsFound:
maxPaginationLinks: 10
maxPossiblePages:
startIndex:
endIndex:

Metro Manila (CNN Philippines, January 12) — Camarines Sur Governor Miguel Villafuerte ordered local governments on Friday to evacuate vulnerable communities in the province due to heavy rain.

"You are hereby directed to undertake mandatory evacuation of all families living in the flood prone and landslide areas to safer grounds immediately upon receipt of this memorandum," Villafuerte said.

The Philippine Atmospheric, Geophysical and Astronomical Services Administration said on Friday that rains over Camarines Sur and Camarines Norte were due to the tail end of a cold front.

Earlier that day, Villafuerte ordered the suspension of classes in all levels due to the poor weather.

In Naga City, Mayor John Bongat said the rain caused major waterways in the city to swell, with reports of flooding in low-lying areas that may get worse throughout Friday.

Stringer Rosas Olarte contributed to this report.