Updated Mar 20, 2019, 1:04:41 PM
Metro Manila (CNN Philippines, March 20) — The government has demolished a resort on Boracay Island as part of efforts to rehabilitate and ensure the cleanliness of the world-famous destination, the Department of Environment and Natural Resources (DENR) said Wednesday.
The Boracay Inter-Agency Task Force on Tuesday destroyed structures of the Boracay Plaza Beach Resort, located at Station 1 on the island, DENR said in a press statement.
The resort was among the 10 non-compliant establishments that the government warned last month to self-demolish within two weeks because they were within the 30-meter easement zone.
Since the island's rehabilitation began in April 2018, the no-build zone on Boracay has been extended to 30 meters from the shoreline.
"All 10 establishments, including Boracay Plaza, were the last remaining structures along the White Beach to be demolished, making the area fully compliant to the 30-meter beach easement law," the DENR said in its statement.
The nine other establishments had either partially or completely demolished their structures on their own, the DENR said.
The Boracay Plaza was also found to be operating without the required permits, the DENR said, adding that it has issued three orders for the resort to vacate the land and self-demolish. "The owner defied all three orders," the DENR said.
Boracay Island was shut down in April last year for a six-month rehabilitation period ordered by President Rodrigo Duterte, who called it a "cesspool." It reopened in October 2018, with officials enforcing strict rules to tourists and local businesses.