Updated 02:32 AM PHT Sat, April 22, 2017
Metro Manila (CNN Philippines, April 22) — It was a slugfest.
ONE lightweight champion Eduard Folayang ensured the fight would be fought standing up, and outclassed contender Ev Ting to earn a unanimous decision victory on Friday evening at the Mall of Asia Arena.
From the get-go, both Folayang and Ting were contented to slug it out on their feet. It would be a recurring theme of their matchup.
Both fighters traded heavy blows, with Folayang repeatedly pounding the contender's body beginning the second round and Ting cutting the champion in the third frame.
But it was Folayang who landed the hardest shots in regularity, weakening Ting's body and connecting on some wild kicks and spinning back fists, while the Ting failed to bring the fight to the mat and was rebuffed time and time again by the Filipino's take down defense.
Folayang's performance convinced all three judges to give him the fight, and ensure that the belt stays in the Philippines.
The last time Folayang fought in the Philippines, it ended in defeat. But this title defense felt vindicating for the champion.
"Napakaganda ang feeling na alam niyo ang pagkatalo ko noon," Folayang bared. "Alam ko na marami yung nadiscourage, na siguro na you thought on your own na my career was done."
[Translation: I feel very good that you are aware of my previous defeat. I know many were discouraged, that perhaps you thought my career was done.]
"It's hard for me to rise up, but you know, I rise up," the champion concluded.
Team Lakay Dominates
Folayang's stablemates at Team Lakay also drew big cheers.
The Baguio-based stable completed a clean sweep of the night, collecting five wins out of five matches throughout the night.
Kevin Belingon overwhelmed Toni Tauru with strikes in the first round of his own fight to force the stoppage, while Honario Banario landed a thumping left hook on the chin of Jaroslav Jartim in the second round of his fight.
Jartim had to be stretchered off the ring, while Banario bathed in the adoration of the home crowd.
Danny Kingad and debutante Gina Iniong outclassed Malaysia's Muhammad Aimar and Natalie Gonzales Hills, respectively, on the way to unanimous decision victories for Team Lakay.
- ONE Lightweight World Championship bout: Eduard Folayang defeats Ev Ting by Unanimous Decision (UD) after 5 rounds
- Bantamweight bout: Kevin Belingon defeats Toni Tauru by Submission (Verbal Tapout) at 2:27 minutes of round 1
- Lightweight bout: Honorio Banario defeats Jaroslav Jartim by Knockout at 1:31 minutes of round 2
- Featherweight bout: Christian Lee defeats Wan Jian Ping by TKO (Strikes) at 4:50 minutes of round 1
- Flyweight bout: Danny Kingad defeats Muhammad Aiman by Unanimous Decision (UD) after 3 rounds
- Flyweight bout: Stefer Rahardian defeats Eugene Toquero by Unanimous Decision (UD) after 3 rounds
- Bantamweight bout: Xie Bin defeats Chan Rothana by Submission (D'Arce Choke) at 1:46 minutes of round 2
- Women's Atomweight bout: Gina Iniong defeats Natalie Gonzales Hills by Unanimous Decision (UD) after 3 rounds
- Women's Catchweight bout (57.8kg): Michelle Nicolini defeats Irina Mazepa by Submission (Armbar) at 2:11 minutes of round 1
- Strawweight bout: Robin Catalan defeats Jeremy Miado by Split Decision (SD) after 3 rounds