Renaldo Balkman makes PBA comeback as San Miguel import

enablePagination: false
maxItemsPerPage: 10
totalITemsFound:
maxPaginationLinks: 10
maxPossiblePages:
startIndex:
endIndex:

PBA File photo

Metro Manila (CNN Philippines, May 15) — Renaldo Balkman is back in the Philippine Basketball Association (PBA).

Five years after his first stint in the country's professional basketball league, the Puerto Rican has been named as the new import of San Miguel in the ongoing Commissioner's Cup.

He will replace Troy Gillenwater who was the Beermen's reinforcement in their dismal 0-2 start.

San Miguel head coach Leo Austria confirmed Tuesday they have tapped the services of Balkman.

"Renaldo Balkman is our new import in the Commissioner's Cup. He will be a great addition to our team on both ends of the court," Austria told CNN Philippines.

Balkman's player agent Sheryl Reyes, meanwhile, revealed the 6-foot-8 forward will join San Miguel's practice on May 16.

His PBA lifetime ban — for a choking incident with then-Petron Blaze Boosters teammate Arwind Santos in 2013 — was lifted last month.

"He has already matured as a player on and off the court and has managed to control his emotions. He also feels that he has unfinished business in the PBA and wants to win a championship," Austria said. "I also talked to Arwind, he said that whatever happened between him and Balkman is already in the past. He is a professional and will just do what it takes to win another title with San Miguel."

READ: PBA lifts lifetime ban on Renaldo Balkman

Balkman last saw hoop action with the San Miguel Alab Pilipinas in the ASEAN Basketball League where they captured the title after beating Mono Vampire in five games.

The Beermen will try to end their slump against the Alaska Aces on May 19 at Dumaguete City.