Welterweight champ Pacquiao open to Mayweather rematch

enablePagination: false
maxItemsPerPage: 10
totalITemsFound:
maxPaginationLinks: 10
maxPossiblePages:
startIndex:
endIndex:

Metro Manila (CNN Philippines, July 16) — After a convincing knockout win over Argentine Lucas Matthysse in Malaysia, Filipino boxing icon Manny Pacquiao is open to the idea of fighting Floyd Mayweather Jr. again.

READ: Pacquiao dethrones Matthysse to claim WBA welterweight title

But according to Pacquiao, that it will only become a reality if the retired Mayweather decides to return to the ring.

"If he returns to being active as a boxer, then maybe we can fight. I'm open with it," the WBA welterweight champion, who just arrived in General Santos from Kuala Lumpur, told CNN Philippines News Night Monday.

Mayweather won via unanimous decision against Pacquiao in the highly-anticipated meeting in 2015.

The American holds an unblemished professional record of 50 wins off 27 knockouts, while Pacquiao owns a 60 win-7 loss-2 draw slate.

ALSO READ: Mayweather beats Pacquiao by unanimous decision

With some of his colleagues in the Senate and Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte calling him to hang up his gloves, the 39-year-old feels he still has gas left in the tank.

"I'm considering the advice of the President, I'll think about it," Pacquiao said.

"I won't fight for too long. Maybe I'll do two or three more fights. As of now, I can still fight. Boxing is really my passion that's why I continue doing it even if I do lots of things," he added.

Asked when his next bout will happen, Pacquiao has no definite date but plans to do it by the end of the year.

"I'm trying to have a fight again this year, first week of December or last week of November, but it's not yet sure. We're still planning it," he said.