SBP withdraws national team from Asian Games

enablePagination: false
maxItemsPerPage: 10
totalITemsFound:
maxPaginationLinks: 10
maxPossiblePages:
startIndex:
endIndex:

Metro Manila (CNN Philippines, July 27) — The Samahang Basketbol ng Pilipinas Inc. (SBP) will no longer send a team to the 2018 Asian Games in Indonesia.

The country's basketball governing body announced it in a statement Thursday.

The SBP said the reason behind the withdrawal is "to allow our national team and organization to regroup, prepare for the process of appealing the FIBA Disciplinary Panel's recent decision, and aim for sustainable success in future tournaments."

Last week, FIBA suspended 10 Filipino players plus two of its coaching staff for their involvement in the free-for-all on-court brawl against Australia in their third window World Cup qualification match.

NLEX Road Warriors head coach Yeng Guiao was tapped on Tuesday to call the shots for the national squad which consists of a core of Rain or Shine Elasto Painters players, Gilas cadets, and the possible addition of Cleveland Cavaliers guard Jordan Clarkson.

The SBP was pressed for time to finalize the roster since the deadline for submission has passed.

"We thank Rain or Shine, especially to its owners Terry Que and Raymond Yu, as well as NLEX coach Yeng Guiao and Rain or Shine coach Caloy Garcia, for expressing their willingness to represent our nation in the upcoming Asian Games," it said in the statement.

"We apologize to the Asian Games organizers, to the fans of the Philippine team, and to the Asian basketball community for this withdrawal. The SBP resolves to improve its systems, and to prepare programs that will better ensure respectable performances of our teams internationally, of which our countrymen can be truly proud."

The 2018 Asian Games will run August 18 to September 2.