IN PHOTOS: Metro Manila’s first day of GCQ

enablePagination: false
maxItemsPerPage: 10
maxPaginationLinks: 10

Passengers aboard the LRT where plastic barriers separate each seat. Photo by MOHD SARAJAN

Manila (CNN Philippines Life) — Few transport options, unreachable locations, and lack of social distancing are among the big problems that Metro Manila workers faced during the first day of the General Community Quarantine.

As more businesses are allowed to open, this meant that their employees will have to brave going to their workplace amid the threat of COVID-19.

Prior to easing into GCQ, the Department of Transportation bared plans to address the problem of public transportation in the time of social distancing.

Trains are back to operation but only up to 10- or 12-percent capacity for the LRT and MRT, and 35 percent for the PNR.

Starting Monday, buses will only have four pick-up and drop-off points along EDSA, namely: North Avenue, Quezon Avenue, Ayala Avenue, and Taft Avenue. Commuters complain online about the lack of stations in between Quezon Avenue and Ayala Avenue, particularly in Cubao which is a busy transit point for many people.

GrabCar has also resumed operations, but there are reports that pick-up points are unreachable for some drivers.

The next phase of the GCQ public transport plan will be in place by June 22, where modern jeepneys, public utility buses, and UV Express vehicles will be allowed to resume operations.

Checkpoints, curfews, and social distancing are still in place. As of June 1, the country has recorded 18,638 cases of COVID-19.

Here’s a glimpse of how the first day of GCQ fared for the city’s commuting public.

A view of the LRT along the Taft and EDSA intersection. A light traffic in the thoroughfare is also visible. Photo by MOHD SARAJAN

Passengers follow the queueing indicators at the LRT Taft station. Photo by MOHD SARAJAN

An MRT security guard checks a passenger’s temperature before he is let inside the station. Photo by MOHD SARAJAN

The queue inside the MRT Taft station at 6 a.m. Photo by MOHD SARAJAN

MRT utility staff clean the train coaches before passengers are allowed to board. Photo by MOHD SARAJAN

The traffic situation along North Avenue, northbound at 9 a.m. Photo by MOHD SARAJAN

The designated bus stop along North Avenue. Photo by MOHD SARAJAN

The physical distancing system observed inside the MRT. Photo by MOHD SARAJAN

A reminder for the passengers queueing and alighting the MRT Shaw Boulevard station. Photo by MOHD SARAJAN

A view of traffic going into the Shaw intersection tunnel. Photo by MOHD SARAJAN

Many people going to and from work have taken the option of riding a bicycle for now. Photo by MOHD SARAJAN

A line of buses along C-4 Road near the EDSA-Taft station at 3:30 p.m. Photo by MOHD SARAJAN

The traffic situation at EDSA-Ayala intersection at 4:05 p.m. Photo by MOHD SARAJAN

A woman alighting a military truck along Ayala Station. Earlier today, some trucks were dispatched to help stranded commuters. Photo by MOHD SARAJAN

Bicycle riders using the EDSA-Ayala intersection. Photo by MOHD SARAJAN

A view of the Boni-Guadalupe area at 5:30 p.m. Photo by MOHD SARAJAN