Bangsamoro stakeholders frustrated by government’s failure to pass BBL

enablePagination: false
maxItemsPerPage: 10
totalITemsFound:
maxPaginationLinks: 10
maxPossiblePages:
startIndex:
endIndex:

Metro Manila (CNN Philippines) — Members of the Islamic academe, businessmen and some prominent families in Mindanao cried foul over the government’s failure to pass the proposed Bangsamoro Basic Law (BBL).

In a press conference on Monday (February 1), the stakeholders in the proposed measure said they are frustrated by the non-passage of BBL.

The proposed BBL is anchored on the comprehensive agreement on Bangsamoro (CAB).

The historic peace deal signed by the Moro Islamic Liberation Front in March 2014 with the Philippine government under President Benigno Aquino III, with the Malaysian prime minister Najib Razak in attendance as a witness.

Although this is considered an accomplishment of the Aquino administration, the agreement binds the government, no matter who the sitting president is.

According to the Office of the Presidential Adviser on the Peace Process (OPAPP), they are now working to ensure it turns over to the next administration all the documents and programs under the current peace agreement as specified in the CAB.

BBL rebirth depends on next administration

The 1Bangsamoro movement said the proposed law should be revived in the next administration.

The group insisted a Bangsamoro law could still be pursued in the next congress.

But as Aquino steps down from office, this will largely depend on the priorities of the incoming administration

In a statement, 1Bangsamoro said it is rooting for Vice President Jejomar Binay to be the next president.

According to the movement’s president, Alan Balangi, Binay is “the only presidential candidate who can fulfill the wishes of the Bangsamoro people.”

Binay and another presidential candidate Sen. Grace Poe previously said they are for measures pushing for peace, but have also articulated reservations on the proposed BBL— they want a law that is more inclusive and not limited to the MILF.

Administration's bet Manuel “Mar” Roxas II has earlier said he will continue the peace efforts of the Aquino government.

Another presidential candidate, Davao City Mayor Rodrigo Duterte, also favors the BBL and has also expressed support in pushing for the concept of federalism in the autonomous region.